Clutch while I'm at it (Barnett)

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I rode my bike, the clutch slipped awful. I'm pushing 60K miles on it. The last time I went through this, one of my buddies gave me some friction plates in better condition than what I had. I found a stack in my stash and installed it yesterday. Oil is still out and the pan is off. It occurred to me that I have a set of Barnett friction plates (new) somewhere in this mess I call a garage. Should I go ahead and do that? Is there any real disadvantage to Barnett friction plates?

The issue I usually find with not just these bikes but any wet clutch Jap bike is the springs. They go soft over time. Replace the plates if you like but I'd recommend doing springs as well. I never have replaced plates, only springs.

Replace the plates if you like but I'd recommend doing springs as well. I never have replaced plates, only springs.
Where does the time go? My OE clutch friction plates are in spec. They measure 2.9 mm to 3.05 mm. >2.7mm is in spec. So, yes I will have to replace the springs.
My Barnett friction plates measure 3.75mm thick. Is it even possible to use them? FSM says spec is 3mm. What am I missing? The stack is definitely high.

Those may be plates for the early clutch. Spec for them was 3.5mm.

Back