Coil causing main fuse to pop.

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Any idea how a coil would cause a main fuse to pop when I turn the bike on?
With the coil hooked up I turn power on and burn a fuse.
Without the coil hooked up I turn power on and fuse stays good.

30 minutes earlier the bike was running. The only thing near the coil that was change was that the wassel tank was tightened down (was previously on but not bolted). The other odd thing is that I had the bike running for a few seconds. I brushed against the plug wire and the bike blew the fuse and quit. The fuse that keeps blowing is the one that runs from the battery to the on/off switch. On/off switch is fine.

Getting frustrated? Not sure if there is something I'm doing wrong in mounting the coil...which is brand new. I read somewhere that on these coils you're supposed to cut off the plastic around the mount screw hole. I haven't done this...not sure why I should have to. Read the post about this a long time ago.

You trim the plastic back so you get a good metal to metal contact to help heat transfer from the coil to the frame.
When you tightened down the tank you may have pinched a wire, causing a dead short.
Pull the tank and look.
Leo

I'll go back and check that out. Would anything inside a coil itself or Spark plug wire itself ever cause the main fuse to blow? It was just so bizarre that it died exactly when I touched the plug wire.

One other quick question. I see a lot of pics where people have a third wire (ground on the coil mount screw). Is this ground wire needed for the coil? Mine didn't have one originally.

Last edited:
Back