Coil mounting alternatives?

tidd1340

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im slowly gathering the parts fro a pamco/pm alternator set up.Going to be going with a sporty tank and the visual impact kit/10.5 shocks.Looking for different mounting ideas.Not concerned if its hidden or not..i was thinking on the down tube of the frame behind the motor..any other ideas?

Did you get your stuff yet? I mounted my coils on the back down tube and they were fine. On a stock bike prolly not enough air flow, but opened up i would say they are fine. the best place is still up high, up front, but you know we can't leave well enough alone. :eek: :thumbsup:

Im slowly gathering the parts fro a pamco/pm alternator set up.Going to be going with a sporty tank and the visual impact kit/10.5 shocks.Looking for different mounting ideas.Not concerned if its hidden or not..i was thinking on the down tube of the frame behind the motor..any other ideas?

Mounted mine under the tank. I liked the way the wires aimed forward. BTW, I have a Boyer.

Attachments

• rsz_1bikes_052.jpg
    rsz_1bikes_052.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 387
Ignition coils generate heat, with some more than others. Pamcopete highly recommends mounting the coil so that the heat is transferred to the frame tube. He has a method that uses grounding lugs that are bought at Home Depot electrical section. Look in the "Tech" section, and in the "Shops" section on this site for "Pamco Ignition". Also "search" for Pamco ignition.............there are many posts on this topic.

For another method, check out this pic of my bike which has an Accel coil (yellow in the pic) that I mounted to the horn mounting bracket which is rubber mounted. This works for me because this coil does not generate much heat.

You could PM Pamcopete with the coil you bought, and he will recommend a mounting method.

Attachments

• Tourmaster saddlebags.JPG
    Tourmaster saddlebags.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
rwingsfan, they are water pipe clamps. It would take two for lugs on both sides?

rwingsfan;

Those brackets are called pipe grounding clamps...............electrical section at places such as Home Depot.

Why do you need 2 coils? Make life simple and just use 1 coil. If you are using stock set -up with 2 sets of points, you can tie the 2 sets of points together in parallel and use a single coil that has 2 high voltage outputs.

Well I am going to have a 277 rephase with a Pamco that requires two coils. Not sure i can get around it with this setup

rwingsfan;

Those brackets are called pipe grounding clamps...............electrical section at places such as Home Depot.

Why do you need 2 coils? Make life simple and just use 1 coil. If you are using stock set -up with 2 sets of points, you can tie the 2 sets of points together in parallel and use a single coil that has 2 high voltage outputs.

Back