complete arc of kickstart rotation?

vufromlu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The previous owner of the ‘76 XS 650 I bought did a lot of custom work including Pamco ignition, new rear sets and modified kickstart crank shape (u bend to accomodate the latter). When I bought the bike he was not using the kickstart and I suspect it’s because the new rear sets interfere with the complete rotation of the kick start crank. The crank rotates 180 degrees from straight up vertical to where it butts up against the rear brake lever toe pad ( the kick pedal rubber is at 6 oclock position at this point). I am wondering if I need to modify the rear brake pedal (aluminum and alter the shape a bit to accomodate the full swing of the kick crank) or buy new rear set , or NOT use the kick start? I don’t want to mess with it if the crank crank should turn a lot more that 180 degrees. Does anyone know how far past 6 oclock position (toward 5 oclock) should the crank actually travel?
Thx in advance for any comments or tips

It would be great to see a picture of this.
May be easier to fix the e start.

If you can bring it on compression reset the lever and get a good kick without the lever hitting something at the end, you are good. That's the critical thing if the lever hits a stop, it's going to hurt your foot/ankle.

Hi Gary
Thx as always for your comments- always respected and appreciated! YEs, I was thinking that myself but worried I wouldn’t be able to hold back before I hit the “wall” (Beale lever). My original post is not accurate as when I went back and took a closer look, the kick pedal is positioned at approx 10 o’clock at start of kick and ends after rotation to hit the brake pedal at 6 so I get about 120 degrees of rotation. I gather the original footpeg setup was more forward allowing space for complete rotation (whatever they total arc is?). GUess I will have to take she rear set off to measure and/or simply try kicking “short” on full compression . Would there be anyway of reconfiguring the kickstart assembly to shorten the arc (even if I waste some of the initial arc)
I know I know... probably a moronic question!
newbies like can get away with it!
Lol

Check the lever is as far as it can go forward at the top of the travel. Rotating the lever assembly one spline on the shaft is prolly about 15 degrees of rotation.

Forum member @Brassneck used an RD400 kicker to clear his rearsets. Have a read here.

20757-1421001941-917d2025ddc1a1cef87ef634129b7330.jpg

Check the lever is as far as it can go forward at the top of the travel. Rotating the lever assembly one spline on the shaft is prolly about 15 degrees of rotation.
Hi Gary,
Yes, tried that and it is...I took off the custom rear set and mountimg plates and verified that the complete rotation arc is about 170 degrees and I am able to get about 150 bit risk hitting the brake lever pad.
I could probably start it with a good stomp at full compression ....
I was hoping the arc was only another 5 degree and I could have shaved a bit of the brake lever pad.
I am now thinking of making a folding lever pad that can can be bolted onto the existing lever and cut off the casting portion to allow the the kick lever to clear.
Thx again

Back