Confessions of a pro bike thief.

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
Fascinating thread with some good info on how to protect your bike.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

A sample of his comments:

Never seen that before, sounds like they were determined. The craziest thing I remember someone doing with a burly lock was turning some sort of cutting torch into a backpack of sorts that looked like a scuba tank. The parking lot was freshly laid asphalt and all he succeeded in doing was setting the parking lot on fire. I hope no one knows that one anymore. Too good not to share.

Down in the thread, some guy asks him about whether he should chain up an '82 XS400. The guy's reply:

Don't get mad at me if something happens, but I think that bike will be fine unless it's a really sharp cafe or bobber.

G'day All,

I want to protect my ground
up restoration which has cost me a lot of South Pacific Pesos to get it where it is.

I was thinking of installing a GPS Tracking device, will not stop it from being stolen however, I may be able to find it post theft.

Geedub

^If you find it they aren't going to let you ride away with it, assuming it's still rideable. And cops aren't going to get involved with your GPS thing. If it was a big commercial product like LoJack they might have some procedures for getting involved though.

Gdub, Have an alarm system set up in such a way that if the bike is moved it sets the alarm off.......power source separate from the battery

xj, Over here in Aus you can register product no's with the police so if it is found in a search then the owner is notified..........If a GPS tracker is on a vehicle and operating then the police will become involved............Especially if the vehicle is insured.........

That's kind of the same thing -- a procedure in place. I was thinking deeper about this. If you went over to get it (and they aren't going to let you ride away with it), if they call the cops, so much the better! If they rough you up or threaten to, then the cops WOULD come out and when it was discovered it was over the bike the cops might be inclined to turn it over to whoever proved they own it. So a rogue GPS on it might be some benefit..you just gotta work with it :)

Seems fine to me!!
Screenshot_20190209-192413_Chrome.jpg

You know most of bikes being stolen is just plain being stupid. I go to a couple rallies a year and if I wanted too I could steal about half a dozen bikes at each rally. There are trolls at all the rallies and next time you go to one watch and learn. The WILDWOOD roar to the shore gets 8 to 15 bikes stolen each year . The trolls walk up and down the street and watch you park your bike. Now everyone thinks that all are friendly but your wrong. Most of the bikes stolen even have the convenient helmet to ride away with . I watch every year and now that we have phones its even mush easier . One guy walks with you as you walk away and then call the other guy to grab. Now a lot of these bikes are Harley bikes because no one is going to steal my Harley lol Two years ago I am just watching and a nice couple back into a spot with there bike. Put there helmets and jackets on bike and start to walk away. Well across the street there are 4 trolls and one starts to cross to follow the couple down the street. Well I yell at the guy and say you dropped something they turn around and walk back to me I say to him do you want to ride home on that bike and he looks at me like I am crazy. He says why and I tell him he never locked the ignition. He tells me he never does and I tell him to look across the street and the trolls start moving fast down the street. I said lock it or loose it today and he thanked me. But this is the stuff that goes on at all rallies. LOCK YOU BIKE TAKE YOUR KEY!

Has anyone here ever had a vintage bike stolen? Ever even known someone that had a vintage bike stolen? It seems that most thieves are interested in things they can make a quick buck on , like Harley accessories and sport bikes.
The only people I’ve ever seen express any interest in any of my old bikes are gray haired old guys who remember them from their youth.

Back