connector pin removal tool dimensions?

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
12-0635.jpg

Can someone please tell me what the dimensions are of the pin removal tool that works on this type of stock XS650 latching connector.
I'm tired of struggling with makeshift tools, and intend to make one from a stainless spoke.
The pic shows a (replacement) stator connector.
Thank you.

Well not what you are asking for but put it out here
The spoke fex from a bicycle is round from start .If putting it on an anvil hitting it with a hammer then testing
to large .hit it again and go on is it called Cold forging ?
if to wide a file on the sides . can use the file on the flat side also if needed
To small ..cut it off and start over again
I mostly use a small screwdriver for instruments watches and so -- the spoke is probably better

1706798181197.png

I have no problems removing the pins with a tiny flat screw driver, but you need a good quality crimping plier to attach the wire correctly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 17
I use a tiny flat screwdriver. I've seen on Youtube a guy made a tool from a paper clip, straightened and one end flattened with a hammer blow. Those mini-connectors are a bit fiddly to dismantle - probably just the nature of the beast. Worst case, not very expensive to replace a connector block?

I bought a cheap set similar to this but with more different tools and it releases almost every type of connector I’ve run into. Warning, they are typically made of 100% Chinesium and bend easily. For the more common connector size I have a Snap On release tool that I’ll measure and post later.

IMG_4102.png

If you ever decide to buy one, I got this kit off eBay and really like it. The little screwdriver handles make the tools very easy to hold and use .....

TerminalToolKit.jpg

The 1.4mm square blade works well for the type of crimp you're trying to remove .....

TerminalToolKit3.jpg

AddingWire2.jpg

AddingWire3.jpg

AddingWire4.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

Here is the pin removal tool that I made. Easy to make, and works great -- probably just as good as the ones you can buy.

DSC02357.jpg

The thickness of the hacksaw is about perfect. I looked at a few different blades, and they all seemed to be about he same thickness, close enough that all should work.
Trim the blade to make a 3mm wide probe.
Mark a line 11mm from the end. This will indicate when you have pushed it all the way in. The slot you are entering is fairly deep, and it won't work unless you fully seat the tool.

DSC02358.jpg

The above instructions apply to a FEMALE blade-type connector. The arrows indicate how thin the release slot is, hence the need for a tool that's as thin as a hacksaw blade. You need a purpose-specific tool to release these pins. A small screwdriver will not work without a lot of frustration and ultimately destroying the nylon connector and damaging the terminal.

I tried my tool on a really lot of different female connectors. The release slot dimensions varied very slightly, and the tool worked well on all of them.

DSC02360.JPG

The release slot on the MALE side of these connectors varies greatly. Shown above is the tallest slot I came across. A small screwdriver would work here, but it would be easier if you had a third hand. The hacksaw tool works here, but again, it would help if you had a third hand.

DSC02361.jpg

I tried to make a couple different tools for the various MALE connectors with their varying release slot heights. The idea is to make a tool with a snug fit, so it stays put when you insert it, and you only need two hands. I used a 3mm stainless spoke, which is the exact width that you need. Then grind to get the height you need for a particular male release slot.

View attachment 261015
Here is the pin removal tool that I made. Easy to make, and works great -- probably just as good as the ones you can buy.

View attachment 261016
The thickness of the hacksaw is about perfect. I looked at a few different blades, and they all seemed to be about he same thickness, close enough that all should work.
Trim the blade to make a 3mm wide probe.
Mark a line 11mm from the end. This will indicate when you have pushed it all the way in. The slot you are entering is fairly deep, and it won't work unless you fully seat the tool.

View attachment 261017
The above instructions apply to a FEMALE blade-type connector. The arrows indicate how thin the release slot is, hence the need for a tool that's as thin as a hacksaw blade. You need a purpose-specific tool to release these pins. A small screwdriver will not work without a lot of frustration and ultimately destroying the nylon connector and damaging the terminal.

I tried my tool on a really lot of different female connectors. The release slot dimensions varied very slightly, and the tool worked well on all of them.

View attachment 261018
The release slot on the MALE side of these connectors varies greatly. Shown above is the tallest slot I came across. A small screwdriver would work here, but it would be easier if you had a third hand. The hacksaw tool works here, but again, it would help if you had a third hand.

View attachment 261019
I tried to make a couple different tools for the various MALE connectors with their varying release slot heights. The idea is to make a tool with a snug fit, so it stays put when you insert it, and you only need two hands. I used a 3mm stainless spoke, which is the exact width that you need. Then grind to get the height you need for a particular male release slot.
And if it doesn’t work you can use the hack to cut it :)

A small screwdriver will not work without a lot of frustration and ultimately destroying the nylon connector and damaging the terminal.
I should have explained the small screwdrivers I use is a set of really tiny ones, made for hobbyists or perhaps watchmakers. The blades are slim enough to slide into those mini-connectors to release the catch. TBH I'm glad to have found a good use for them, on the XS about the only place they might be useful is the screw that secures the neutral switch cable clip.

I should have explained the small screwdrivers I use is a set of really tiny ones, made for hobbyists or perhaps watchmakers. The blades are slim enough to slide into those mini-connectors to release the catch. TBH I'm glad to have found a good use for them, on the XS about the only place they might be useful is the screw that secures the neutral switch cable clip.

PICT0932.JPG

Screwdriver I use to release the catch is the tiny one next to the mini-connectors - it's just the right size for the task. The red handled one is a very useful tool for among other things domestic plugs & sockets, but too big for mini-connectors. And for further contrast the faithful Vessel Impacta looking huge in this company. You can often pick up these sets of 'precision screwdrivers' pretty cheap in places like Aldi or market stalls.

I think the hacksaw solution in # 11 is an excellent idea.
I have a tendency to break those blades and saves the bits Sharpening for knives or using as a spoon for distribution Glue and so
Use As a steel ruler ..

With the angle grinder I can see this happen and working .Perhaps shorter
A really short one can be good to have if you are in there loom still on the bike

Good post gents, two birds, one stone… can someone enlighten me as to what was the size(s) of the latched male connections within here, ye blocks are…? Are they 6.3 or 4.8?
Thanking you kindly

I use a tiny flat screwdriver. I've seen on Youtube a guy made a tool from a paper clip, straightened and one end flattened with a hammer blow. Those mini-connectors are a bit fiddly to dismantle - probably just the nature of the beast. Worst case, not very expensive to replace a connector block?

Me too Raymond
I bought a set of ‘connector removal tools’ , they were all shite and bent out of shape in use, a load of poop.
Went back to fiddling with a small flat screwdriver, works every time on standard common connectors.

Stainless steel strip from windshield wipers you are replacing, to make a tool. Can't believe I didn't butt in long ago, ;^)
Other tools from those strips.
wiper tools.jpg

Bet I've made at least 30 little git r done tools out of those strips, every bench has at least a handful. The width and thickness varies, the vans use a much heavier strip than the Prius's

Back