Yo! so checked out dans mc link read up on it and followed the instruction my points are looking clean i bought a 12v circuit tester i opened the gaps when the cam is at its highest and adjusted the right to .013 my feeler gauge (for some reason my feeler gauge doesn't have certain even numbers) adjusted both left at right to that when each cylinder reaches the firing mark. When i hook the tester up and spin the engine when the right cylindfer issupposed to fire the other point is also open. Bsasically my question is should both points be open at the same time or should they alternate between closing and opening and if so how to i fix that because they both stay open for about half a rotation is this ok? if all taht jazz is good then my timing should be ok i suppose . Oh! another question ive had it would wrong timing cause the bike to "kickback" when you try to kick it over cause before that happened a bunch id always be pretty bummed cause that shit hurts sometimes or am i just bieng a pusss and need man up my kicking leg?

Also this video helped me a bit in understanding how the points work
i thought it could be of some use if anyone stumbles across this

Yes, your timing being off can cause that "kickback", in fact it's one of the warning signs that your timing is off. Yes, it's OK for both points sets to be open at the same time. The points sets are only closed for about 93° of the engine's rotation (360°), or about 1/4 of a revolution.

Back