Cooling

fjzr04

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I have a running XS my question now focuses on the cooling aspect of these bikes. I was reading a thread about an overdrive gear option an for some reason the comments turned to engine cooling and the tendency of these engines running hot at highway speeds.

So my question is, do these engines not handle well highway speeds (65-70mph)? Do they tend to overheat at these speeds even with air flowing through the fins? I mean, there was one guy showing how he developed an air ram system to increase airflow to the engine. So is the factory set up deficient or unable to keep the engine cool?

congrats on running xs.
Search oil cooler for a lot more on this subject. They are a popular mod for the xs.
Carberator adjustment can bring down engine temps a bit too.
Also, the large (usually orange) o-ring around the barrels keeps oil from creepy up in between the fin block and barrels. If that o-ring is bad, oil could creep up, and get hot.
A correct heat range plug is another cause. Usually the stock plug is best. Ive read and use a autolite ap63 plug in my tci ign. chop, and plan to do so in my 71 xs1-b with pamco. I don't know if they are compatible with a points setup.
I believe you got the air ram reference from a poster called xsjohn, He did a lot of experimenting on his xs. He had a wealth of knowledge. He is missed by all xs650 owners (rip)
I believe 650skull compiled all of his postings into one locked thread here, just search xsjohn.

These engines do run a bit warm as most aircooled bikes do. Will they burn up at highway speeds, no. I have run my 75 as a 650 for 5-6 hours at 80-85 mph wothout any issues.
I have a modified right cover that lets me run a cooler and/or a external oil filter. I use a oil cooler radiator off an 82 Seca 650 turbo. It's about the same size as the one Mike's sells. It gives me about 45 to 50 degree drop in oil temps. This I feel is a bit too much. I have a cooler radfiator I picked up off Ebay. I plan to use this one on my 75. It's smaller than the one I had on it. I'm expecting a drop more like 25 degrees.
Oil temps should run about 180 degrees or so. With out a cooler my oil temps run about 200. With my first cooler set up I ran about about 150. With the new cooler it should run about 175.
This is pretty close. to ideal.
I'll try to get the cooler sert up back on the bike and do some more testing.
Leo

Thanks Angus67 and XSleo,

Very insightful information, I am leaning towards the oil cooler addition, which leads me to me next question. How do you measure, track, or monitor your engine temps?

Dogbunny makes and sells a replacement dip stick with a thermometer.
Leo

Back