correct engine oil for 78 XS650E

You say dealer, as in a motorcycle dealer? If so then it is probably a motorcycle oil and will be fine to use, just expencive, especially with the 1000 to 1500 mile oil changes you need to do.
The Shell Rotella T 15w40 is a heavy duty egine oil that has extra additives your engine needs and is wet clutch compatable.
Walmart has it for around $13 per gallon.
Leo

Your top end is going to make a lot more noise running that 10-40. It probably won't hurt anything but it's gonna make more racket. I switched from the 15-40 Diesel back to 20-50 because of that.

If you live somewhere hot, I would use motorcycle-specific 20W-50. I've tried the diesel, it's too thin for me during the summer. AutoZone regularly has M/C oil for $3.99 a quart, not that much more than buying diesel oil gallons.

You say dealer, as in a motorcycle dealer? If so then it is probably a motorcycle oil and will be fine to use, just expencive, especially with the 1000 to 1500 mile oil changes you need to do.
The is a heavy duty egine oil that has extra additives your engine needs and is wet clutch compatable.
Walmart has it for around $13 per gallon.
Leo

Right ON.

ZDDP is the key. That's the stuff that has been taken out of car-oil. You really can't go by the application type. Some "motorcycle" oils (e.g. Yamalube) have no more ZDDP than car oils and not all desil oils are happy in motorcycles.

Shell Rotella T 15w40 has plenty of ZDDP, and has been used for years by XSers. One fellow posted the result of the specs from a blue-print that he did on a motor with 20K miles on that oil that had "no discernable wear" he did spike the ZDDP level for the last part of those miles though.

20w 50 normally for any motorcycle (I know 10w 40 is regular) but if it gets really hot out I might drain a quart & add a quart of SAE 30--make sure if ya do this not ta mix synthetics with fossil.

I use 20w 50w valvoline motorcycle oil 4.99 a quart

I heard that too that car oil is bad for clutches, can make them slip.

Other reason to avoid car oils is the lighter weights have Molybdenum Di-sulfide in them to reduce friction. That's the stuff that will take out your clutches. These oils will have "API Energy Conserving II" in the API roundel.

In the manual, the oil chart (if I remember correctly) doesn't recommend 15w-40 above about 75 degrees f. 20w50 is good from freezing up to over 100*.

Back