Correct frame width early xs

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What is the correct width between axle plates of a hardtail on an early model xs? I havr a 73 tx650 that is hardtailed and it is REALLY tight. I really had to pry to get the wheel back in after a new tire. I'm going to try and get it to a welding shop for some repair and inspection but I don't know if it should be 8" or 8 1/2" as I read different responses on different years. I just did a rough measure on mine and it looks like 8" or real close. Had the rear wheel on because it is a real bitch so hard to get real accurate.

When the cross brace gets welded in, it can make the sides pull in a little. It did on the first one I built,then i figured out not to over heat it while welding.

I don't know what you have on there for spacers. Your gonna need some. I'm using the stock wheel spacers (one on each side) and 2 -3/4 inch washers between the chain adjusters on each side.

Anyone know the correct stock width between the axle plates on the stock swingarm of a 73'? My hardtail is made from a stock swingarm and it is too tight now at about 7 3/4". It looks like 8" might be correct after rough measuring the stock wheel and spacer.

Back