Couple retard questions....

franklinshaw

What just happened??
Reaction score
How do I make these into one for a '76?? By make I mean make or purchase.... Or any pics of creative ways to mount them and is it safe to mount these in a box??

Attachments

• hjiujkjl.jpg
    hjiujkjl.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 242
I think he is asking if these ir a way to only use on coil on the bike and the best way to mount them.

as for as only using one I am not sure (mine only has one but it is an 83)

Mounting in a box? I would not reccomend it due to this is basically the heart of your spark going to your plugs. If you use a motal bx you would/could risk an ark and short the spark. while it is running. I would shoot for under the tank. Remenber you do not want you plug wirk it be too long (I think it is mo more than 8 inches (I think)), the shorter the better.

Just my $0.2

I can see from this and your other threads that you have a lot to learn. A 76 uses two separate coils, just like in your picture. Yes, you can go to a single dual-tower coil if you want to change your ignition system, but I don't know if that's your goal.

Coils never, ever go in boxes, they generate a lot of heat, and if confined they will burn up. Same goes for regulators and rectifiers. Keep asking questions.

Last edited:
you are very right.. I am new to the older bike world. all I am used to is fuel injection and everything being tuned through computers. i am intrigued by the xs650 thats why I have chosen this rout. and you are correct dogbunny i do not want to replace everything electric on my bike ha! I just want everything simple and I just dont know all the differences between the different model xs's. I have learned waay more than I thought i ever would have about these bikes and you guys are my teachers! yall are the only resources I have used so far and I plan to keep it that way throughout my build. I'm brand new here and I feel like i know you guys already. Its too bad motorcycles arent a very big scene here in alabama I kinda feel like an outcast here compared to other states i have lived in. so you can imagine my resources here are very limited. most people here are only into nascar and drag racing other peoples cars.. ha! good folks tho. so if yall dont mind i would love to keep picking your minds.. ill need alot of guidance.. i read through the posts all through xs650.com and learn something new everytime i turn my computer on..

I edited my last post, what I said wasn't quite right.
Have you ever worked on a points type ignition? That is stock for your year.

There will be a learning curve with points, but it's no big deal. Everyone on this forum will encourage you to buy a Pamco electronic ignition, that's okay too, but not really necessary like everyone here insists. With the Pamco you will need a single, dual-tower coil, otherwise it's a pretty easy installation.

I've done a lot of research on the pamco ignition. I think that I will eventually go that rout but I'm just getting the bike together now taking my time and absolutely enjoying myself working on my new old baby! I haven't ever worked on this type ignition before either. But for now ill do like u guys have said and just run the dual coils and mount them under the tank.

I agree with DogBunny. You can use points ignition and they will work just fine. The real shortcoming is those coils you show. Those stock coils were only puting out about 12K volts when they were new. You're going to get a weak spark.

To have a strong spark, you need to use a coil(s) that produces 30K volts or more. You can certainly use points, but points are limited to coils that have 4 ohms, or more, primary resistance. To stay with points, you could buy a single dual output coil such as the
#17-6822 that Mikesxs sells, and it will give you 37K volts. To make the single coil work, you need to connect the 2 sets of points together in parallel. Wired that way, you will get spark in both cylinders every 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation.

I have used points ignition in cars, trucks and bikes. They get the job done, but they do require occasional adjustment to keep them working at their best.

So the dual output coil will replace the 2 stock ones that I have and provide the spark I will need to keep my engine running at its prime?

Yes however, you cannot run a dual output coil on a points ignition system...correct me if i'm wrong... but from my understanding of the wiring that the points system requires, two separate coils are needed. If i'm wrong someone chime in, because this is simply what I was told a while back and given the explanation seemed rational.

So the dual output coil will replace the 2 stock ones that I have and provide the spark I will need to keep my engine running at its prime?

Yes, the dual output coil that I mentioned, will replace your 2 single coils, and give a much better spark. As an added bonus, if you find you don't like fiddling with points, you can later change over to a Pamco, and use that same coil.

Yes however, you cannot run a dual output coil on a points ignition system...correct me if i'm wrong... but from my understanding of the wiring that the points system requires, two separate coils are needed. If i'm wrong someone chime in, because this is simply what I was told a while back and given the explanation seemed rational.

That's a common misunderstanding. The stock set-up of 2 sets of points, are simply connected in parallel. That means one set of points fires both cylinders, and then the next time the pistons come to the top, the other set of points fires both cylinders.

I ran my bike with this method, for the first season I had the bike. It works very well.

so this http://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6822.html will plug into my factory ignition system and will be good to go?

Yes, that coil will work for you. Your bike has 2 red/white wires that bring power to the 2 coils.................now you only have 1 coil, so just connect 1 red/white to one of the coil's primary wires. The other red/white is not used.

Your points have green/yellow and orange wires. Connect the green/yellow and the orange together and connect both wires to the coil's other primary wire. Disconnect one of the dual pack capacitor's black wire. You will only use 1 capacitor, not both.

Hard to believe, but its that simple!:D

All this on coils and I thought this was gonna be about advancer problems.
Leo

well go to another threat and stay off this one.. I don't remember asking your opinion on my wording.... thats pretty dumb.... "dude". ha

Hello, my accel coil 140405 will work with the solid state regulator and 2 points system? It is got 3.0 ohm. And the bike is a xs2 from 1972. Greetings and regards from México City!

Back