Crack at upper rear motor mount

Vmx51

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was cleaning up a 79 I just bought , and it looks to me that the upper case is cracked from the upper rear mount over to the sprocket side. Has anyone else seen or heard of this ? Transmission seems to shift fine , have not started or ridden the bike though

These motors are notorious for casting flaws that look like cracks, mostly up around the cylinder studs, so it may just be a casting flaw but without pics it is hard to really tell what you are seeing.

Here's a pic of what ippy is talking about. There's nothing broken here, just funky casting. Can you give us a pic?

full

scrub the hell out of it with friend's tooth brush till sparkly clean. ride around a while. if it leaks oil..........

This however IS bad news...

View attachment 47919

Happens when a stretched chain skips a tooth on a worn out sprocket.
There will be two marks on the bottom of the rib that supports the cover screw.

The round steel is the closed end bearing for the shifter shaft.

Is it repairable? Well, new cases would be a lot simpler...

does it leak oil?? it looks like a crack but could be bad casting also check the mounting bolts,make sure there all all tight also is there a upper mount on it?

I am sure that's not a crack it's a casting mark where two sections of the mold come together. It's visible in my first picture and this one.

Under LH cover.jpg

Fredintoon , you are fortunate I exposed the relevant crack first !! The alternative is way more distressing!

Hi Vmx,
thanks for not posting the other photo.
It wouldn't bother a hardy soul like me but some folks who look in on this list are still young and easily shocked.
About the photo of the crankcase casting mark, I trust you are going to clean that bike before you run it.
The thick coating of crud on the drive chain and sprockets will act just like grinding paste.

Back