Crank case breather filter...

Nubster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just noticed my bike doesn't have one. I'm guessing I should install one? What happens if I don't?

Without a bit more info I have to guess what your bike is.
I guess yours has the hose from the breather going down behind and below the engine. If the hose is the stock length you don't really need a filter.
As the engine breathes in and out of the hose, oil mist coats the inside of the hose. This coat of oil catches most of the stuff that can get sucked in the hose in the first few inches of the hose.
If you have cut the hose short then a filter will help.
I have a power brake booster check valve on mine. It's about 1.5 inches from the breather. The stock hose I cut to 1.5 inches, put the check valve in the hose then ran 3/8 hose from the other side of the valve down below and behind the engine as in stock. No filter.
On the filter as the oil mist fills the filer it will drip out and coat everthind below and behind it with oil.
Hope this helped.
Leo

Sorry...I guess I should have included more info...there is no hose at all...just the two holes on the breather which is the dual setup. The bike is a 79'.

I would add at least the hose. Mike's sells one like what was originally on there. It's a thin wall hose. A thick wall hose won't fit and bend as well.
One of the holes will have a solid rubber plug, or should have, the other might have a rubber plug with a small hole through it. The hose goes on the side with the hole in the plug, or the side that is open.
Leo

Earlier models had one side blocked, one open. '78-'79 had both sides open but with a restrictor plug in each. The hoses originally ran to the airbox so any oil vapor was recycled. I originally started with a filter but like Leo said, it always got all oily and messy. I switched to the check valve poised above my pods so any oil mist will get sucked back in. Simple, cheap, clean set-up .....

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

Nice...I'll have to get that done. The top of the carbs was a bit oily today when I removed them. Not terrible but I'd rather there not be any if I can help it.

Back