Crap lost a wire tag where does this plug in..

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
1977 xs650 .. hardtailed.. running a mostly complete harness just rearranged so that its mostly contained under the seat rather than the headlight.

Ok im going through making my custom harness and i noticed two things.. well maybe three.

#1 My wiring diagram shows my coils should have Orange and Brown and Grey and Brown, while both of mine have wires that are orange and brown. does this mean that someone replaced one of the coils at one point in time? Along with that im confused as to where the orange wires go. Im going on the understanding the brown wires go to the red/white wires.. but i dont know where to send the orange wires.

#2 The points or advance thing on the left side (sorry i dont know what the hell that thing is) has a harness with two wires coming out of it.. as does the small component thats fitted up in the inside of the top engine mount. I have them both labeled "AA" and "BB" both are male connectors so i know they were initially connected in double female connectors which have somehow gone missing like a fart in the wind so i need to know where i should send them. I scanned through the wiring diagrams but was having no luck coming up with them on the schematic.

#3 Im using the left hand switch below. I have my headlight wired up and working. Im not using the horn button (for now). Im trying to constructively think how i will be wiring the turn signals to prepare myself when i actually put the axe to the grindstone and get around to mounting and final wiring them. Background .. ive already purchased the LED flasher.. just incase later down the road i want to change out my signals. Im only running rear indicators no fronts. The switches wiring harness shows three wires for indicators. "Indicator Main" "Idicator Left" "Indicator right". Ive taken the dk green and dk brown and run them from the switch harness so that later in life at the end of the sickle the wires will be the correct colors for someone else or myself to trouble shoot. I tested the signals roughly by hooking them up to their sides and running the 12v to the main and flipping the switch. The lights light up .. and obviously dont flash since its just being applyed to a direct 12v source. mmmmkay that being said its obvious to me that the output after the flasher relay is what should be connected to that "Indicator Main" wire.. i just need a little point in the right direction as to which wire that is.

25457_663965535724_14310932_38237130_5194099_n.jpg

.. mkay thats for reading my scroll..

Me love you long time..

Luke :thumbsup:

on the coils brown to red white (hot) each coil, orange (or gray) to both points and condensers (the small component thats fitted up in the inside of the top engine mount) the diagram shows two short connector wires with double female on one end attached to the coil wire.

#1 My wiring diagram shows my coils should have Orange and Brown and Grey and Brown, while both of mine have wires that are orange and brown. does this mean that someone replaced one of the coils at one point in time? Along with that im confused as to where the orange wires go. Im going on the understanding the brown wires go to the red/white wires.. but i dont know where to send the orange wires.

#2 The points or advance thing on the left side (sorry i dont know what the hell that thing is) has a harness with two wires coming out of it.. as does the small component thats fitted up in the inside of the top engine mount. I have them both labeled "AA" and "BB" both are male connectors so i know they were initially connected in double female connectors which have somehow gone missing like a fart in the wind so i need to know where i should send them. I scanned through the wiring diagrams but was having no luck coming up with them on the schematic.

Luke :thumbsup:

ok .. awesome thats what i was leaning towards .. it seemed like they were all intertwined.

anyone got any guidance on the turn signal main?

Luke

You need a switched 12V wire going to the X side of the flasher(brown) and you need another wire going from the L terminal of the flasher up to the main wire on your switch. This wire should be brown/white. Dark green is right turn and dark brown is left.

also if someone could just verify for me..

I started out with most all of the wiring and im thinning out as needed as i go. Since im not using the factory headlight im assuming i dont need the "resistor" (#32). Along with that im under the impression i can ditch the "reserve lighting unit" (#31), the "light checker" (#30) and the "turn canceling unit" (#48).. along with most if not all of the wires associated with those harness plugs and wires. If im incorrect can someone please set me straight. I havent seen them in any of the "chopper diagrams" but id hate to cut it out if theres like one random wire that needs to stay connected in the plug.

10703xs65077d.jpg

Basically if you didnt read the novel up top .. im running a single element headlight, rear turnsignals, single tail light, battery, stock charging system, soon to be radio shack rectifier nothing special.

Luke

#1 no, your coils are probably stock. Most coils have an orange and brown wire. Orange to the points, brown hot, hook to the harness red/white, as gggGgary said. If you look at #40, #51 and #52. One condenser, #52, one set of points, #51 hook together and hook to one coil. The other condenser and points to the other coil. Both coils get power on the red/white wire.
As you look at your points the upper set is the right side, the lower the left. so as you hook the wires to the coils, keep this in mind. If it turns out you have them wrong it's easy to reverse them here.
#2 Points on the left, advancer on the right. The wires see #1
#3 You have it pretty well figured out. The wire you hooked up to power test them is the one you need to hook to the L- load side of your flasher. The + or hot side of the flasher to a fused hot wire after the key switch. In the stock harness it's the brown wire.

Back