Craven Luggage

DanielBlack

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've been digging around for awhile for a cargo solution for my daily rider. I used a milk crate on my old bike, but I want to honor my XS survivor with something as well-formed as it is functional.

I've of course seen 5twin's Krauser bags, and I'd love something along those lines.

It looks like Craven has been resurrected and their stuff looks very nice

I'm thinking an L rack and a set of Comets. Fiberglass, lockable on bike, easily removed from bike for carry away.

http://www.cravens.org.uk/

I would like to hear any comments you may have on either of two subjects:

1) The new Craven bags themselves. How do they look? Any seen them in person? Suggestions of alternates?

2) Logistics of purchasing 5-10 hundred dollars worth of stuff from the UK for US import. Comments, warnings, tips all appreciated.

Suggestions of alternates?

These are ok. Heed 5twins advice and don't ride with them empty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krauser-Sad...ash=item33c1b65ec0:g:ynQAAOSwHsRYD9Wi&vxp=mtr

Or Chase Harper like these have worked well for years. I have stuffed some loads in them. Mounted under the seat instead of over they are not easily removed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Harpe...ash=item4b0a7fe868:g:nhMAAOSw8w1X-Qhe&vxp=mtr
That is a decent price if they aren't torn or burned somewhere.

The Cravens look really nice - and are likely very well made - as do the Chase Harper bags (but of course the two products are very different).

As for bringing stuff in from the UK - I have been told that in Canada, you should ask the supplier to put the words "Vintage" or "Antique" Motorcycle Parts (choose one or the other of vintage or antique) to be put on the customs forms as the contents of the package.
I guess there is a much reduced (or even zero) duty on old bike stuff as opposed to new bike stuff - but again, this is for Canada and it may be different in the US.

Thanks gents.

Those Chase Harpers look to be very nice soft bags, but I'm more interested in lockable hard bags I won't have to worry about while I'm at work.

What I prefer about the Craven Comets over Krauser is the top loading. Easier to just drop something in there and go.

Good note about the 'vintage' label. Even if it does apply in the US, I wonder if it would apply to newly manufactured products for a vintage bike.

I'll definitely have to look into 5t's empty bag warning. Thanks.

So, I've gone ahead with the Craven L rack, but with my month long business trip installation is on hold until January.

They don't have a fitting kit built for the XS yet, and I have three options to go with:

1 - Go back and forth with Craven (Draganfly Motorcycles) in England, taking measurements off my bike in the States and then they would make brackets to send my way for test fit. Definitely not ideal, and I fear how many tries and weeks of shipping it might take to get it right.

2 - Fabricate the brackets myself with the help of my friendly colleague. No real problem there, and this is what I'll probably do.

3 - If any of our English members are interested in offering their bike (standard, mine's a '77) as a test model, Draganfly "would be able to offer some incentive I'm sure." That is a quote from an email on the subject, but the incentive has not been elaborated upon nor has any discount been offered to me. My incentive is a pre-fitted kit that I know will work.

So, any Brits in the market for a new rack or luggage? Draganfly/Craven are located in Bungay.
IMG_20161128_140200622.jpg

Anybody considering soft bags like in weekendrider's second link, or even leather bags, make sure the part that goes over the "hump" is fastened like hell to the bags. Cloth straps ought to be sewn on the full height of the back if not all the way around. Otherwise the weight of the contents and wind will rip them off the strap in no time at all. On my leather bags the back of the bag and the strap part are one piece of leather and that leather is 1/4" thick or possibly 3/8"

Daniel, since you intend to use your bike for commuting you might want to consider using a top box instead of saddlebags. I've had both hard and soft saddlebags and neither hold a candle to what you can do with a top box. Not to mention they keep the overall width of your bike down making it easier to park in tight spaces. You can get into a no frills box very inexpensively or upgrade to some very nice units. If you do some touring you can also add a soft luggage seat bag. I currently have two that I switch back and forth from in my commuter bike. I have a smaller Kappa Moto that I use in the summer, and a larger Bestem 929 with lights that I use in the winter when I need more space for jackets and gear and the occasional take out food. The Bestem lights are also outstanding when commuting in the dark of winter days. Here are a few pics of both options.
IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

Hi Pete,

Haven't done much.

Stella's been on a major hold since Thanksgiving, likely extending through January. My wife and I are just about to start a move across town and it's best to keep the bike on the back burner for now.

Here's the current status:

I have the Craven L rack which arrived just before I left for my December trip. It now needs brackets worked up and I'm not sure if I'll work with Craven halfway around the world, or build a one-off custom set here with my helpful colleague. Either way isn't too complicated, but I do wish Craven had a test model handy for fitment.

As to the bags, I've decided to hold off on the fiberglass. An expended budget and 5twins' warning about empty hard bags convinces me that, although pretty, a new set of Cravens might not be the best bet for practical everyday use.

I've got some ideas for a modular system of plywood boxes to be started this spring, but for now I'll get the rack attached to the bike and it'll be enough to strap my backpack and a small duffle of tools. I hate to say it, let alone think it, but a milk crate can be thrown on for the trip to the grocery. Don't worry, Stella, no pictures.

I hate to say it, let alone think it, but a milk crate can be thrown on for the trip to the grocery.
BWHAHAHAHAHA. Next time Stella is feeling a little put upon you can show her pictures of the torture some of her cousins go through.
A bulb crate on a luggage rack.
Memorial day trip 08 (2).JPG

A collection of bags.
IMG_20140524_080010_377.jpg

Another collection, just more of them.
DSCN2089.JPG

A different collection of bags.
IMG_20160913_143444_809.jpg

Plywood is an interesting material DB - the trick would be to find a way to join the pieces together INA secure and weather tight fashion which will hold up under vibration.

Hmmmmm...

280029_239795232705085_7096382_o.jpg
here is a pic of the Cravens mounted on my 76 XS. I still think they are the best cases ever made. Very sturdy! The fiberglass already survived a few minor accidents in the last 40 years. Never liked the Krausers. Topload is much more practical. Plus the design fits a classic bike very well!
Currently doing a complete overhaul incl new locks, hinges and brackets....more to come...currently waiting for the paint job
Greetings from Bavaria.

Last edited:
Back