Crazy idea with front wheel, advice and ideas would help

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, i was thinking the front axle on xs650 is 17mm=.687 in, and i want to switch it to hd 18in spoke wheel, so i figured i could switch out the 1in bearings on the hd wheel with 5/8in bearing and 5/8= .625in, then buy a 5/8 axle. does anybody think this would work, but i would put a thin sleeve in the axle holes to make a tighter fit. I dont know what im thinking, i was just wondering if this would work, instead of switching out the front end. Advice and sane thoughts welcome:D

With the right shims and spacers, you could keep the 1" bearings and still use the 17mm axle. Have access to a lathe?

@Motorbreath. what did you ever figure out? I have been asking around and reading around here and have found NO definitieve answer even though many claim to have 21" HD on stock set up.

almost everyone running 21" harley wheels has a different setup, due to the many different types of harley wheels. Some guys run a whole harley front end be doing a hybrid neck bearing trick, others run just the wheel with spacers(like me), and some use a combo of spacers, bearings and shims to make it work. Long story short, it all depends on which harley wheel you start with.

@Jamesgs4. Well the individuals I have talked with that are doing a similar setup can't come to a conclusion, lol. Again, I am speaking of only stock set up, meaning forks and triples are stock running a HD front wheel. My specific setup to a few threads is a 3/4" HD front wheel with stock forks and triples... how?!? And what about HD brake calipers mounting to stock forks??

Stock axle = 17mm
HD axle = 3/4" (19.05mm)

So in your instance, how did you solve the axle issue? There has to be more than just spacers because axle diameters are different. Spacers are just centering the wheel but how do you or others solve the diameter issue? Could you do a write up or pictures or links to shims. I would love more complete information. Thanks.

my HD wheel uses a 17mm axle, just like the xs, so that simplified the process a lot. If you are dead set on a HD wheel, I would recommend a full frontend swap. It may seem like more money, but is virtually no machine work so it balances out. Mikesxs has a 21" hoop and spokes that you could lace up to your stock hub, allowing you to keep your stock brakes and speedo.
1303608019.jpg

Nice bike! I still don't understand how an American wheel has a metric axle. Was it a 5/8" axle and it was 'close' enough to the 17mm axle?

no, it is just a 17mm. 64-72 sportys and fx's used this wheel, and the axle size has baffled many americans for years.

:agree::agree:I'm with Shaunmayfield. Can people post some how to pics of what the have done showing the custom parts. I have a aftermarket 21" Harley rim to match may 5.5" rear rim. In honesty I didn't think enough about it when I ordered it.

I would like to keep my XS front end if possible. I have a lathe. But not sure where to go from here when the time comes to fitting it.

A good thread on it with the various processes/option should be a sticky.:twocents:

no, it is just a 17mm. 64-72 sportys and fx's used this wheel, and the axle size has baffled many americans for years.

Most people do not realize that Harley uses Japanese forks. Every single one of them comes from the Showa factory. Even to this day. I ride a Harley, but do not for a minute think they are all USA made.

I measured my inner bearing dia @ 19.05mm for my aftermarket harley 21"
Thinking the bearing case will be hardened and machine ground, so easier option would be a ¾ axle to suit and put brass bushes in the forks to fill the gap.

Dunno which thread to post to now we kinda have two following same topic.

:oops:I think I got myself :confused:

Stock axle = 17mm
HD axle = 3/4" (19.05mm)

Will have to keep stoke axle and add a sleeve in the bearing.........

This is what I'm trying to do right now. But the gap between a 17mm axle and a bearing with a 3/4'' ID is only 19.05mm. That means the sleeve will only be BARELY over 1mm thick. That sounds way too thin to be realistic to me.. or am I wrong here? Has anybody done this?

What if you get a bearing with the same OD as the Harley bearing but with a ID of 7/8?
7/8" = 22.249mm
That would put the sleeve at 2.62mm thick which sounds a lil more doable.

Thoughts or experience?

Why the 18 Harley wheel? Take an XS rear 18 wheel, take the rim off. Take an XS front wheel, remove the rim. Now lace the 18 rim to the XS front hub.
Then it will fit the XS forks. No machining of anything. Stock brakes.
Leo

Back