Crooked swingbar

Bushings aren't so hard to change and swing arms are an easy swap, but first you have to figure out where the problem is. Several times something has gone wrong on my bike and I've posted, "this is what it's doing, should I buy this?" Every time I get the response, "No, you should diagnose the problem and if that turns out to be the problem then you should buy it." So... that's what I strive to do and it saves time/money, and I gain a better understanding of my motorcycle. Don't be surprised if you have to do it three or four times before it's right too. Not so much on this repair, but repairs in general.

so checked the swingARM. Sorry for that I know it is I don't know what i was thinking. And it is bent just laying it on the floor, and puching on one of the corners brought the thing up quite a bit, it looks bent as well. Definantly bent. So I am in the market for a new swingarm if anyone is somewhat close to Utah, and is looking to get ride on a swing arm 78-80 disc brake, let me know :)

So I am in the market for a new swingarm if anyone is somewhat close to Utah, and is looking to get ride on a swing arm 78-80 disc brake, let me know :)

Hi Jt,
FWIW, except for the really early swingarms (up to mebbe '72 because they are shorter) ANY XS650 swingarm will work for you.
While only the disk rear swingarms will drop right in, the drum brake swingarms only need to have the other style of brake stay attachment lug welded on and the later model closed eye axle hole swingarms may take a bit of fiddling to get the axle inserted past long-series mufflers.

uhh JT it's a swingARM not a swing bar.

As I posted above you need;
swingarm from a 78 through 80 mag wheel special to be plug and play on your bike.

sheet I'm sure I have one but first find out if yours is straight or not.

RFlives above has one with the brass bushings installed that's a very good thing! \just make sure it's for a disk brake.
mine is off a 79 drum bike sorry

mine is off a 79 drum bike sorry

Hi Jtp,
like I said in my previous post, drum brake & disk brake swingarms are identical except for the brake torque arm mounting plates.
Use the mount plate on your bent swingarm as a pattern to make a copy that can be welded onto a drum brake swingarm.
They you'll have a dual-use swingarm just like the one we made to put on my son's '80 Special when he switched it to a drum rear because his aesthetic sense wanted the bike to have wire wheels and there ain't no disk brake rear wire wheels.
And he can swap back to stock any time he gets weary of keeping those wire wheels clean.

let me check, I do have a couple, hopefully one that's already off the bike. I am always so reluctant to drop a chassis off it's wheels. Rolling is so much easier than dragging LOL.

yeah grim cycle salvage is actually great I have worked with them a lot to order parts and what not, but the old parts for xs usually fly out of that place before I even know they are there. And thanks guys for checking, tis much appreciated.

Well I searched the racks. I have 8 swingbars :wink2: for drum brakes and one for disk brake. It has a bit of rust but it's straight, I checked carefully, using machinists blocks on top of my cast iron table saw.
By the way; just checking by laying it on a flat surface it rocks, the welds are uneven enough to let it rock, but with an axle and pivot shaft in it supported on accurate blocks it's great.

I would replace the bushings, but it could be run as is. Shipping is $33 priority or $27 standard USPS $25 plus the shipping?

Back