cros's xs winter redo

cros36

thread killer
Reaction score
ill try and keep the words to a min. after this.

the story
got the bike as a christmas present two years ago. promptly tore it apart having not a fucking clue what i was doing. had a friend help out and was going to help me do the whole bike. we got the back end glued up and he got switched to 12/6's at work, so home came the bike with alot of work still to do. went up to a local bike shop and we traded, he was going to finish my bike, and my wife was gonna build him a website. took him way too long and everything that he did is being redone because he sucks. so i get the bike back after 8 month and work still needed to be done. had another friend do the finish welding. got the bike finished and got to ride it this past fall, great times. i thought that winter was coming so i got drunk and tore the bike apart in preparation for a redo. and thats basically where im at now. all the headaches were tottally worth it because it drove me to learn how to weld, and all the welding is being done by me, so i know its good (maybe?)

heres a quick timeline of progress.
IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

1268704314639.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

shaved and cleaned her legs.

IMG_6469.jpg

was gonna ride this tank, its sweet but fucked up and didnt want to fuck with relining it yet.

DSCF8034.jpg

DSCF4198.jpg

lowbrow and the horse had a competition and with the help of family, this forum, and several boards i won a new tank. fucking saved my ass and got me on the road. very grateful.

so this is where it sat before the tear down.

DSCF7860.jpg

DSCF7863.jpg

DSCF7865-1.jpg

now the fun stuff. i dont have a welding setup at home, so its done in pieces between some fab stuff at home, to school, or a friends house. so its taking a bit longer than i would like. but still, its progress.

made these new bars out of some 7/8 .120 DOM. i like them, im not crazy about them but whatever, spent way too much on the metal to not run them for at least a little while. for sure need to get a smaller master cylinder tho.
DSCF8076.jpg

DSCF8069.jpg

DSCF8102.jpg

traded my old west eagle (im way to fat for it) for a 9 inch wide rear fender with a member on CC. had to take 3.5" out of it.

DSCF8087.jpg

DSCF8089.jpg

im gonna wait to mount it to take the sides in. hopefully doing that tonight.

DSCF8093.jpg

onto the "electrical box"

gonna make a horseshoe to hold all the shit it. heres a manilla folder mock up i did last night. looks about the right size. what do you think?

DSCF8099.jpg

DSCF8100.jpg

the seat is going to be like the one pictured, but out of some 11 ga. that i have cut out, but cant bend that here without heat so that should happen soon too. im gonna upholster it myself and it will most likely look like shit.
the sissy is out of some 3/4 conduit in the pictures, just had that laying around just for mock-up. i plan on getting some 5/8th SS for that. plan on making my own taillight. gonna stuff 2 25led clusters in there wired through flash relays so people dont kill me.

thats about it for now. had to shove a lot of info, thanks for reading, ill keep up as much as i can.

The bike is looking good,and if the welds on those bars are your's, you picked it up real good.

What are the specs on your old bars? Hint on you possily making a few bucks.

You have awesome welds on the new ones. Thats gonna be rad!

just put the top mount pics in another thread, but here coatside and others....

i didnt make the top mounts, they were done way back at the beggining of the build. do you guys think that its even doing anything, thinking of doing something different if time allows.

DSCF8108.jpg

DSCF8107.jpg

and i made this little guy a few months ago. came out straight, so im happy with it.

DSCF8110.jpg

DSCF8109.jpg

upper mount looks fine. how thick is the metal? the orig. mount is a freakin puzzle . dont know why that was over engineered.
im in the beginning of a winter re-do myself.

upper mount looks fine. how thick is the metal? the orig. mount is a freakin puzzle . dont know why that was over engineered.
im in the beginning of a winter re-do myself.

shit yeah the stock one is over engineered. it takes longer to figure out how it goes together than to put it on.

not sure of the thickness, ill go down and look at it when im feeling less lazy.

i'm using a high mount 68 sporty. but those that upper mount begs for a re-engineering. thanks for the idea.

got a little done over the weekend. felt great to actually cut some stuff up.

DSCF8114.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8118.jpg

not too bad id say so myself
DSCF8123.jpg

menilla folders bend a bit easier than 16ga metal. so had to trim the bottom, no pics of that.
DSCF8126.jpg

im gonna drill 5/8 out of these 7/8 stock for a solid as shit sissy mount.

DSCF8127.jpg

DSCF8128.jpg

DSCF8131.jpg

DSCF8130.jpg

As I work more and more with metal, and learn to TIG, I love seeing pics of how everyone does simple things like bend that 16ga, and fab up sissy mounts. Thanks!

nothing ground breaking. shitty rushed welds, name of the game with this build. gotta get this done so i can get to riding. this "winter" is killing me.

DSCF8313.jpg

DSCF8314.jpg

DSCF8315.jpg

DSCF8319.jpg

DSCF8321.jpg

DSCF8322.jpg

Back