Crushed exhaust gasket !!??

xsmoley

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,
Took the headpipes off today as part of my teardown and came across this inside the left outlet. To me it looks like a crushed/trapped brass exhaust gasket but as I have never come across one before am unsure what to do with it ! Should I leave it as it is or prise it out and replace. The bike is a 75 XS650B with only 4000 miles on the clock. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• exhaust gasket 1.jpg
    exhaust gasket 1.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 133
  • exhaust gasket 2.jpg
    exhaust gasket 2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 122
Throw it to trash! When you open joint then you put new gasket, buy filled copper rings next!

Hi Capt Zoom, I have just read a thread which talks about digging them out woth a small screwdriver to begin with moving up to a larger one when you have been able to gig some out. Apparently they can become quite solid in there due to the heat and being caked in carbon. Hopefully someone will come up with a definitive way of getting them out as a screwdriver seems a bit brutal !

I had that happen with mine and I dug it out using a pair of angled needle nose pliers and grabbing ahold of a section that was semi hanging out like in your picture... I tugged on it and it came unraveled as it came out of the opening and ended up being about 2 foot long coil ( like a slinky when pulled from both ends )...

Bent-Needle-Nose-Pliers-3R209_AS01.JPG

I hope that helps :)

Dave aka WK2

Good idea WK2 that seems much better than a screwdriver. Noticed you from Tennessee which is where my bike came from...place called New Tazewell !

I actually used a pair of fencing pliers. The hook end worked great for me. Just throwing in my two cents.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 63
New Tazewell is in North Eastern Tennessee and a 4 hour drive away from my location ( I live just 23 miles ( 37 klicks ) south east of Nashville )... :)

Dave aka WK2

Back