Clutch lever no resistance: Is it because there is no oil in the engine?

rjz1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

The bike is new to me and I've been working out each issue one by one (first the carbs) and now the leaky push rod seal. I've successfully driven the bike up and down my street a few times in order to do my testing and fixing. In the process I've taken the left side cover off multiple times. Doing this I never had an issue with putting the left side cover back on and the clutch working (no need for adjustment or fiddling).

Then today I took off my left side cover to replace my push rod seal. In the process I drained the oil because I plan to change the sump and side filter at the same time. But when I put the left side cover back on I get no resistance in the clutch lever as I had before (I've successfully driven it in my neighborhood!). I'm 99% sure that I'm not missing either of the ball bearings (I'm using the original 2 piece push rod system: my only doubt is that ridiculous sort of "maybe it rolled out when my back was turned to me, it rolled into the garden and is currently laughing at me"). I can definitely see the ball bearing in the worm gear and I think that I can see the one still inside the motor.

I have not put oil back into it yet because, if I did do something wrong I don't want to waste the oil by taking it out again. I found a post for a similar inquiry that says "Lay it down on the floor, on the left side, and the oil will drain away from the gasket surface. Put a block of wood under the left footpeg to protect the shifter from bending." This post was liked by Mr. gggGary.

Is there zero resistance because the motor does not have oil? Or is this unrelated?

The bike is a new to me 1980 3GO

thanks,

proof it worked previously! (really posting as an excuse because I'm super excited)

My marbles!

Got it. thank you both. I'm glad I didn't put oil in it.

I need to find a magnet small enough to fit into the hole, the one I picked up from Advanced Auto is too big in diameter.

So I should check:
-my marbles
-worm gear/ramp thingy
-

anything else? Especially anything else that would have been variable throughout this process?

I need to find a magnet small enough to fit into the hole
Find a piece of round stock, small enough to fit in the clutch rod hole, stick it in all the way, and put a magnet on the other end it. Contact will cause the round stock to become that pole of the magnet, magnetizing it, and out comes the "marble" (assuming you put it in there!). Works with screw drivers too. Science!

gggGary: Yes, I've got the push rod in correctly. I've read through the many very good posts on replacing the push rod seal and figured that my procedure would go off without a hitch. So when it all came back together but still empty of oil I thought that this could be the culprit. Alas, the spirit of the previous owner may have nudged the ball bearing out when I wasn't looking in order to prank me - even though I've got it on the center stand and it isn't tilted one way or the other.

gggGary: I quoted your "like" you in my original post :)

I'm at work now but will check for the inner ball bearing when I get home. I'm going to use 59Tebo's vodoo-science :)

To make sure the ball is still in the worm, remove the adjuster screw. If the ball is gone, you'll be able to see right through the screw hole. The end of the adjuster screw can fool you. It's rounded off so it sort of resembles the ball.

If you have the two-part push rod...I think there's a total of 3 balls, if I'm not mistaken. On on the worm gear, one between the two push rods, and one touching the clutch actuator thingy.

Thank you everyone.

I was indeed missing the middle ball bearing. I have a parts motor in the basement. I grabbed the ball bearing next to the clutch actuator thingy and put it in my running bike in between the two push rods. I bolted it together and haazaaa! I assume the ball bearing next to the clutch actuator thingy is the same specs as the one that goes between the two push rods.

All 3 are the same, 5/16". I know, that's odd because these are metric bikes, but that's what is used. The parts drawing only calls for 2 balls, not showing the one in the worm. That one is crimped into the worm and I guess they consider it part of the "assembly" .....

H29lYkR.jpg

Too funny that all is needed is a simple ball bearing. When the p.o. had my bike he had 1" HD controls installed and a mickey mouse busted clutch cable with the left cover adjuster all the way in. I decided to go back to 7/8" bars and controls. Once back with this size, went with stock cables and had double checked if all was installed and bingo missing the ball bearing in the worm. I am pretty sure this along with other things on the bike, the p.o. did not have much experience with these bikes. Happy you got it all sorted out.

Back