Clutch Lever - no resistance

peterg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I removed my bike's clutch assembly to get at the starter gear spring. When I put the clutch assembly back there was no tension on the clutch lever. I didn't check the lever until I had replaced the case cover and filled up the case with oil. (note to self - check lever action before reinstalling the case cover). I'm pretty sure I did not line up the hole on the pressure plate with the indentation on the clutch centre so I need to check that. I checked the worm assembly and it is working fine. There was no spare parts when I finished the re-install. Did I lose a ball bearing? Or is there some other obvious explanation?

Lay it down on the floor, on the left side, and the oil will drain away from the gasket surface. Put a block of wood under the left footpeg to protect the shifter from bending.

You could have lost one of the balls. That would add 5/16" of space or play in your lever. There is the commonly lost one in the worm assembly under the left cover, but there is another under the valve shaped pusher piece on the right side. When you had the clutch apart, did you pull that pusher piece out of the shaft?

put a 5 gallon bucket or somesuch under the handlebar end so it doesn't turtle!
There are ball bearings! One in the worm that can fall out. one between the parts of the two piece push rod. and one at the clutch hub end.
2018-01-07-11-36-www.boats.net.png

Thanks guys.

5twins - yes I took the push rod out along with the rest of the clutch assembly to get at the starter gears.

With the cases on there is absolutely no tention on the lever other than the worm spring

Not much, only a couple MM, so a missing 5/16" ball would give a totally "limp" lever.

Back