Clutch shuddering while engaging.

NeopolitanSliceCream

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had my clutch/basket out to change my shifter shaft because it was bent on the outside. Previous to removal the clutch disengaged/ engaged fine.

When I put it all back together, I never separated the plates/pressure plates untill I had to reinstall them, and I reinstalled them exactly how they came out. When I took them out I just put them in a container still sandwiched together. And I figured as long as a I put them back in how they came out, they would be fine?

Now it jitters/shudders while trying to engage at slow speed. Functions fine at speed. Thru other gears. Just feels like it's barely engaging now. It was never the strongest but it never slipped. But now, if I put the tiniest bit of pressure on the clutch lever it disengages.

And yes, I adjusted my worm gear and my cable correctly. So its something internal to do with the clutch engagement itself I think.

My buddy ended up putting most of it back into the bike, other than the discs and the springs. I did those. I'm wondering if maybe he installed the thrust bearing in the wrong spot or something? I think I might just order new discs and pressure plates and a new thrust bearing and see if those help. Because idk if these are just too worn.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

"My buddy ended up putting most of it back in the bike".
It's easy enough to put things back in the wrong order if one is not vigilant to the order.
It worked before the shift shaft change then it should work now.
"If" you're going to tear it down to replace discs, pressure plates and the thrust bearing then tear it down before you order anything and see if it was put back correctly.
IMG_0213.JPG
Other opinions may vary.

Yup, I'd go along with @nj1639, check it's been put back together correctly. And remember to check that dot is lined up correctly. On mine, it was not and the clutch was, uhm, shall we say an ongoing problem till that was corrected.

Not saying you shouldn't replace things if they're worn, but if your clutch was working earlier, it's going to work again with the same parts.

"My buddy ended up putting most of it back in the bike".
It's easy enough to put things back in the wrong order if one is not vigilant to the order.
It worked before the shift shaft change then it should work now.
"If" you're going to tear it down to replace discs, pressure plates and the thrust bearing then tear it down before you order anything and see if it was put back correctly.
View attachment 255092
Other opinions may vary.
Thank you. I'm just now realizing that I'm not sure if I lined up those dots. Didnt know that had anything to do with anything. Is there a reason for that?

Thank you. I'm just now realizing that I'm not sure if I lined up those dots. Didnt know that had anything to do with anything. Is there a reason for that?
Yes, and I wish I could remember the mathematics of it - to do with prime numbers of tabs & slots. There's only one correct orientation of inner and outer clutch baskets. Mine had been put together wrong and no matter how much I adjusted the clutch, could not find a consistent biting point and it would slip under power. Simple enough to correct and if you don't want to drain the engine oil, just lean the bike left before removing the clutch cover. Or just drain the oil and shove it back in again after.

Yes, and I wish I could remember the mathematics of it - to do with prime numbers of tabs & slots. There's only one correct orientation of inner and outer clutch baskets. Mine had been put together wrong and no matter how much I adjusted the clutch, could not find a consistent biting point and it would slip under power. Simple enough to correct and if you don't want to drain the engine oil, just lean the bike left before removing the clutch cover. Or just drain the oil and shove it back in again after.
Yeah I was thinking of just laying it on its side but I need something to lay it against lol. It's super low cuz it's chopped but I'll figure it out. Might just drain the oil. But thanks for the input, I think I tried to line it up right but when I put it back together I remember not being able to find the other dot. Makes sense, because it's on the inside of the basket.

Back