Clutch Rubbing On Inside of Engine Cover

j343my

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch wasn't disengaging properly so I decided to get in there and see if I could spot the issue. There was evidence the clutch had been rubbing on the inside of the engine cover at some point, but It definitely wasn't since I have owned the bike. When I took everything apart I realized the inner-most thrust washer was missing. There was also some evidence the driven gear was rubbing on the case.

I tracked down a thrust washer and reinstalled everything properly. The clutch discs looked basically brand new.

When I buttoned everything back up, the clutch was rubbing on the inside of the engine cover.

20221104_155420.jpg

Here is a photo of the clutch assembly:

20221104_155350.jpg

I took everything apart again and measured the discs and they are 3.3mm thick. Am I correct that they are supposed to be 3mm thick? I'm confident that everything is installed correctly so I'm pretty sure the PO installed discs that are too thick and took out the thrust washer to stop it rubbing.

But I wanted to consult with the experts first before I order new clutch discs.

Bonus pic of the bike as it is currently:
20221104_160951.jpg

There are different types of clutches if I recall right 3
The way to do it is go online for the exact year model and look at the parts No s
some discs are of another thickness and there is a specified order how it is assembled.
And the washers is alo tricky to get right it is here somewhere on the forum

My clutch wasn't disengaging properly so I decided to get in there and see if I could spot the issue. There was evidence the clutch had been rubbing on the inside of the engine cover at some point, but It definitely wasn't since I have owned the bike. When I took everything apart I realized the inner-most thrust washer was missing. There was also some evidence the driven gear was rubbing on the case.

I tracked down a thrust washer and reinstalled everything properly. The clutch discs looked basically brand new.

When I buttoned everything back up, the clutch was rubbing on the inside of the engine cover.

View attachment 229064

Here is a photo of the clutch assembly:

View attachment 229065

I took everything apart again and measured the discs and they are 3.3mm thick. Am I correct that they are supposed to be 3mm thick? I'm confident that everything is installed correctly so I'm pretty sure the PO installed discs that are too thick and took out the thrust washer to stop it rubbing.

But I wanted to consult with the experts first before I order new clutch discs.

Bonus pic of the bike as it is currently:
View attachment 229066
Hi j343my,
Any chance of providing details and pics of how you mounted your rear fender?
Cheers,
Kane

I have the same seat I just fitted. Will your tire contact the rear seat mount strap when suspension bottoms out? Looks like you may have a smaller tire.
I'm shopping for tires and it seems like 7" rim to mounting strap is a bit too small.

Check the thickness of the metal plates. Maybe whoever worked on it installed some older, thicker plates? They should be around 1.4mm

So that fender ended up fatiguing and broke off after a season of riding. If anyone does something similar make sure you reinforce it a bit.
20240321_130010.jpg

I have the same seat I just fitted. Will your tire contact the rear seat mount strap when suspension bottoms out? Looks like you may have a smaller tire.
I'm shopping for tires and it seems like 7" rim to mounting strap is a bit too small.
I've never had an issue with that. At full sag I have 4" between the top of the tire and the mounting strap. My rear shocks have about 3.5" of travel before you hit the bump stops. If you think its possible for the tire to hit that strap on your bike, you should be equally concerned with it hitting the underside of the seat.
Check the thickness of the metal plates. Maybe whoever worked on it installed some older, thicker plates? They should be around 1.4mm
It was the friction discs. The PO had installed discs that were 3.3mm thick. It obviously rubbed the inside of the cover so his solution was to remove one of the thrust washers. Replacing the discs with the proper 3mm thickness and reinstalling the second thrust washer solved the issue.

So that fender ended up fatiguing and broke off after a season of riding. If anyone does something similar make sure you reinforce it a bit.
View attachment 264475

I've never had an issue with that. At full sag I have 4" between the top of the tire and the mounting strap. My rear shocks have about 3.5" of travel before you hit the bump stops. If you think its possible for the tire to hit that strap on your bike, you should be equally concerned with it hitting the underside of the seat.

It was the friction discs. The PO had installed discs that were 3.3mm thick. It obviously rubbed the inside of the cover so his solution was to remove one of the thrust washers. Replacing the discs with the proper 3mm thickness and reinstalling the second thrust washer solved the issue.

I see you have a knobby tire on there. Your numbers of clearance indicates that your sidewall is like 2½" or so. A 110/90 rear is just short of 4" tall sidewall. So you would be close with a street tire. Thanks for the reply.

Is the clutch issue sorted and we are now on a seat / fender / tire thread?

I see you have a knobby tire on there. Your numbers of clearance indicates that your sidewall is like 2½" or so. A 110/90 rear is just short of 4" tall sidewall. So you would be close with a street tire. Thanks for the reply.
its a 4.10/18 tire so 3.25" sidewall. The shocks are slightly longer than stock though.
Is the clutch issue sorted and we are now on a seat / fender / tire thread?
seems like it.

Back