Custom Build, a year later — I've got problems

You have classic bad coil symptoms. Many times when they go bad, they only act up when hot, work fine when cooled down.

You need a new coil. Check your spark after a ride and if its yellow and weak, time to get another. I went with an accel aftermarket coil after having similar symptoms as you. Solved the problem.

Okay guys, that's enough of an agreement that I'll do it. What kind of coil do I need to get to work with my boyer?

Here's an old thread with an image of the one I'm using now. I guess it's Gill brand?

Looks like Mike's has got 6 different coils to choose from.

Let me know which one I need, I wanna get it ordered asap.

i hear people use harley coils a lot. when it coems down to it, i think you can use most any coil as long as the specs are right and the mounting points are good.

someone correct me if im wrong

I pulled this from some other forum out there, a guy was asking about hich coils are compatible with his Boyer -

"you have to know the primary side ohms. points use a 4.5 to 5 ohm primary, the electronic use 3 ohms or less, using the wrong one can damage the ignition system. what does the boyer call for? any coil that matches their spec's will work. on 650 central there boyer coil has a .6 ohm primary. the 04 -06 sportster coil is .6 ohm, older coils had 3 ohm primarys"

So since I contacted Boyer and they spected a 4.5amp, I'm assuming any 4.5amp would work.

We F&@$:ing did it!

New Andrews 4.8 ohm ignition coil and boom! My noble steed rides again.

Thanks for the help guys. Really, thanks so much.

I can now spend the next week before I move to Austrialia riding around in a blaze of glory.

Back