Custom gas tank brainstorming

- - - Suppose I'd better get the right valve springs in that pig if I want to ride it. Damn, i don't want to take it all back apart a THIRD time this re-build... tossing un-fired gaskets gets on my nerves. ;-)

Hi Ernie,
so what's wrong with the valve springs that you need to change them?
It may be possible to change the valve springs without pulling and dismantling the engine. Depends if you can remove the rocker pivots in situ.
Feed a length of rope in through the sparkplug hole (leave a tail hanging out to remove it afterwards), bring the piston up to compress the rope against
the valve heads to hold them up and force the spring collar down to remove the retaining collets.

I used the Kibblewhite replacement springs without the install kit. (had the engine apart twice last year to put gaskets in it.) Some say that's the path to certain destruction. Been gonna call Kibblewhite, but I've been busy planning a wedding an' stuff.

I don't think it will be possible to change the valve springs without removing the head. Fitted some 103-Y springs recently and it was not easy with the head off and a good valve spring compressor. I cant think how you would be able to compress the spring, however there are some ingenious members on this site.

I don't think it will be possible to change the valve springs without removing the head...

Ditto. Rockers would have to come out. Which means rocker shafts have to come out. Which means camcover has to come off so cylinder studs aren't blocking rocker shaft withdrawal. With the camcover off, no need to bother with rockers.

There's not enuff room to wiggle & squeeze valves springs between the rocker end, valve stem, and the opening.

dsc00346-jpg.47430

Last edited:
You'd think some smart lad or lass at Mike's would have figured out by now that a repop XS850 standard tank with an XS650 tunnel would sell like gangbusters.

Last edited:
Back