Custom Top Motor Mount

I might be making my own...will decide once I've had the bike back on the road for a while. I already trimmed down the mounts for it on the frame so make them a bit smaller in width just in case.

Brian3.jpg

A friend of mine's

Would love to see some mounts with semi-solid rubber bushings in them. Nothing too crazy that would require frame modification, but something similar to what's in this picture. Just would accept bushings and washer-like plates. Similar to the way the stock bars are mounted to the triple trees I guess.

Brian3.jpg

Engineering every other mount point (other than the top) might be a little tougher though.

love that Blanton guy's builds, always look real cool. I'd really like to see him make a swing-arm version of his chops.

is the one you posted using a hand shifter? looks like the left foot controls are for the clutch...

also! is that a MX muffler? I've been thinking about putting one of those big MX or sportbike mufflers on my ride. I think they look cool!

I think all the mounts work together to stiffen the frame and to keep the engine vibrations down, not just one mount to hold a direction of movement.

why is there even an expansion chamber for a 4 stroke anyways? seems like it would just slow the velocity of the exhaust gases, hindering performance.

Great looking engine mount!

But what I want to know is, does that expansion chamber make the bike run any better, worse, different? Or is it entirely cosmetic?

His build was based off of his love for racing 2 stroke dirtbikes. So he made the exhaust that way. Same reason we mod our bikes for any aesthetic reason, cuz we want to and we can... :thumbsup:

His build was based off of his love for racing 2 stroke dirtbikes. So he made the exhaust that way. Same reason we mod our bikes for any aesthetic reason, cuz we want to and we can... :thumbsup:

Works for me!

In looking around the web I found that some have been experimenting with expansion chambers for 4 cycle engines but results are very mixed and not significant in either direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Roger Penske (a la NASCAR) invent the expansion chamber back in his motorcycle racing days?

I stand corrected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_chamber

Last edited:
So what is the biggest purpose of that to mount anyway? To stop front/back or side to side movement?

nah Yamaha just put it on there to screw with chopper guys :laugh: to test this theory go pull a motor mount off your car, probably not needed there either :doh:

Yeah, lets face it, Yamaha put a lot of unnecessary crap on these bikes. Top motor mount, front brakes, turn signals, kill switch, front fenders, rear suspension; the list is just endless!
Its just extra weight, so best to just get rid of it all:)

Works for me!

In looking around the web I found that some have been experimenting with expansion chambers for 4 cycle engines but results are very mixed and not significant in either direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Roger Penske (a la NASCAR) invent the expansion chamber back in his motorcycle racing days?

I stand corrected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_chamber

Check out some of today's top Supercross bikes, like the Honda CRF450R (4 stroke engines for those who don't know), or the Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, versions of the like, a lot of them are using resonance chambers on their exhausts. Some even come with one from the factory. But there are a handful of aftermarket exhausts out there that make them for this application. I don't know all of the science behind it, but I'm pretty sure if some of these big names are using them, it must be doing something in the way of performance gains...
I just copied this pic off the web for a quick reference...

Attachments

• 141_0908_04_z+web_impression+2010_kTM_450SXF_noise_resonance_chamber.jpg
    141_0908_04_z+web_impression+2010_kTM_450SXF_noise_resonance_chamber.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 343
isnt the main purpose of an expansion chamber on a two stroke to help pull the spent gasses out of the cylinder? with the 4 stroke, it has...well its own stroke for that.

Back