Cylinder Head Oil Drain Leak

xs650special

James
Reaction score
I finally figured out where my XS is leaking from: the left side cylinder oil drain. I'm not sure that is exactly what it is call. It is where the oil gravity drains, I think, back down into the motor. Long story short I did my first valve job and on the first try I ended up having the adjuster tappet put a hole in the oil drain area. After getting the valves and torqued to the right specs, I did a couple compression tests and the left side, the trouble side, read 155 PSI. The other side was 145 so there is no compression leaks but when the bike is running it sprays out oil. I have a couple of thoughts, to either replace the cylinder head with a new/used unit or have it heliarc job done. Anyone have an opinion?

Start with JB weld if you aren't worried about structure? A pic would help us help you guess.

It seems like there was a thread about this a while back. We reccomended several fixes. JB Wled was one of them. I don't recall who posted the first thread but there were pics.
Leo

Here's the pic of the problem. It's not a great shot but if you look behind and over where the spark plug goes you can see the caved in roof there. After giving this a better looking over I'm thinking that I'll probably have to replace the cylinder head.

Attachments

• Xs650.jpg
    Xs650.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 94
Yeah that's probably scrap metal now, sorry. Try a local craigslist engine or parts bike wanted ad, you never know whats floating around your neighborhood.

Just for reference;

head 001.jpg

head 002.jpg

Cam bearings live there. I'm guessing there is cam damage too.

Heads up; You need to get head and cover as a set, they are machined together, if you buy parts be sure the stamped numbers match.

I've got a couple of spare head sets....need the spark plug holes relined, and no guarantee of the valve conditions. Your choice if you want to do a road trip. Merry Christmas.

Yea I'm working on getting it apart now to see what is all going on. nj thats very generous of you and might take you up on that. i googled switzerland co. its not too far from up here round btown.

Yep, you're a few counties away. Let me know and I'll shoot you a P.M. with an address destination. I believe I have the plug hole sleeves here. Your cost will be your time and gas to get here. Happy to help a somewhat local fellow xs'r.

Back