CYLINDER HEAD REMOVAL to INVESTIGATE SUDDEN HIGH COMPRESSION PROBLEM

Thinking 'out loud' about kickstarter interference here. If kickstart is smooth with plugs out, then, with plugs in, and ignition OFF, the kickstarter gives improper resistance, thinking about the kickstart gear engagement, possibly trying to over-engage because of increased kickstart force from kicking through compression strokes. Only way to tell is to pull the kickstarter and examine the corners of the kickstarter gear...

This is kick only? There was a thread about a cracked cover that caused a kick start to bind. Took a long time to track it down.

Another thought about kick interference, if the clutch basket isn't spaced properly, and tries to displace to the left (inward) under heavier kick force, the primary driven clutch basket gear may try to 'catch' something behind it...

KICK START BACK TO NORMAL - I spent yesterday going over and over the valve settings, then suddenly, after the final loop, the kickstart was back to as it should be.

Thanks for all your help, fellers - I can't be 100% but it looks like there was something to do with my valve adjusting technique. But, anyway, it works and for anyone else with that problem DON'T REMOVE THE CYLINDER HEAD bit stick with the adjustments until you get it right.

Anlaf

As a post script, with Boyer ignition what are the lines on the plate should I line up with. It started on 38 degrees but faded as soon as I pulled the throttle. I moved in to the line to the left of the F, and it didn't like that.

I bought a new strobe light but it seems to be a duff delivery from EBay, so accurate measurements will have to wait until tomorrow.

Anlaf

Last edited:
KICK START BACK TO NORMAL - I spent yesterday going over and over the valve settings, then suddenly, after the final loop, the kickstart was back to as it should be.

Anlaf

great ! thats good news.
Believe it or not there was another identical issue like this recently, that turned out to be incorrectly adjusted valves. I'd forgotten about it. :doh:

Well, that's two threads found the same solution, so that is good news for the next biker to wonder what is going on in his engine to make the kickstart so violent.

Does Hugh ship over the Atlantic to us here in the UK?

Anlaf

I'm sure he does but I think he also sells through Milesxs but I may be wrong about that. I guess the shipping and import tax etc would make it expensive.

Might be worth having a look at heiden Tuning (germany) The are bound to have a PMA.
Alternatively you could make your own.!

Have a look in the tech section there is a diy PMA that looks straightforward. I aim to make my own someday.

managed to find the link at last http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5536

Last edited:
Let's see, to repair a non charging bike. A set of $17 brushes or a $319 PMA. Boy , that's a hard choice.
Leo

Let's see, to repair a non charging bike. A set of $17 brushes or a $319 PMA. Boy , that's a hard choice.
Leo

LOL. I went the $319 route with mine. Better in the long run. Just don't tell my wife I had other options. It's very easy to get new goodies when working on a 33 year old bike and you can say they don't make those parts anymore. :thumbsup:

Back