Cylinder Head Swap

xs650special

James
Reaction score
Well I put a big hole in my cylinder head and its time to swap it out for another one. Here's some pics of the grand canyon residing under my cam. I know I gotta switch out the valves, valve springs, and ? I want to know if there are any more pieces that need to be switch over? I do know that the valves have to be lapped.

Attachments

• GZ250 074.jpg
    GZ250 074.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 215
  • GZ250 073.jpg
    GZ250 073.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 204
  • GZ250 072.jpg
    GZ250 072.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 198
The cylinder head halves are machined together and should be bought as a matching pair, identified by matching numbers on the front of both halves.

what did all that damage was the tappet that makes contact with the valve from the rocker. So hmusket if I get a head and cover, would it be possible to use the rockers that I already have?

so far the only head/cover ive found does come with anything. someone on this site offered it for free but maybe if i could find a complete unit for sale that'd be the way i'd go.

I would get one complete rockers valves matched set. Head and rocker box matching numbers. Is the way to go. Post a want add in the classified.

I would also consider fixing and use the one you have. JB weld the pieces back Problem solved. Right now you have a big oil leak in the oil return area. Cheap fix should work.

That thing had to be raising holy hell !!!!! Forget the Tig welding. Forget the JB Weld. Replace the head assembly, upper and lower as they are matched machined sets. And get one with all the parts. Good luck.

haha - seen that a few times with "locked down" engines that have come through here. I always wonder how they didn't hear the valves being that noisy from being soo loose before it got to that point.

I've tig'd those OK, some blowouts and holes. Then I smooth over with JB weld... Works just fine...

Back