Cylinder sleeve not flush, head stud height?

16vsilverstreak

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
'75 XS650

One cylinder sleeve is raised about 1.5mm above cylinder. Is heat needed to push sleeve back into cylinder?

How sensitive is the XS to head stud height? When removing head one stud backed out about one turn. Heat the base to easily turn stud without damage?

Thanks

If it backed out without heat it might not need to be heated. Heat if you need to. I would measure the other studs and adjust accordingly. The sleeve needs some heat and it should go back in place. I don't see how removing the head would displace the sleeve. But anything is possible in the realm of the 650 I guess.

Hi, 16v.
The sleeve needs to be pressed back down into place.
There are (2) things to consider here.
1 - why did the sleeve back-out, is it loose. Normal sleeve/bore interference fit is .003 - .005"
If you want to be perfectionist about it, have a cylinder shop properly fit this sleeve or resleeve with
turned-down/fitted sleeve or replace entire cylinder assembly.
2 The band-aid approach: You can press it back into place. If the fit is loose, that cyl will run hot, poor heat transfer. Ensire that the dowel pin clearance notch on the sleeve lip is centered about the dowel pin opening.
If you want to band-aid this, then:
Thoroughly clean the cyl assembly, especially around the raised area, don't want anything trapped under there.
Put the cyl assy in the oven, upright, on blocks so the sleeves hang down and at least 1/4" above oven grill or bottom (for clearance)
Heat oven at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour.
If the sleeve is a light interference fit, it will just drop right in. Else, you may have to gently tap it down with a soft mallet. Double check dowel pin notch alignment. While this is hot, the other sleeve may loosen-up, so don't disturb it.
Turn-off oven. Place something flat and heavy, about 5 lbs, on top of the cyl assy. This is to ensure the sleeves won't creep out during cool-down.
Cool-down for an hour or 2. Check fit.

Use new headgasket, that and the dowel pin will keep the sleeve in place.

250 degrees in the barbecue works as well.

I heated my cylinders to cure some paint and the sleeves fell out. Heated them back up and they fell back in.

Just remove the briquettes.

Keeps wife happy.

Happy wife, happy life.

Back