Damn Insurance Companies rule the world!

Bought my house 23 years ago, 2000.

Insurance was $20pm. Had a high cat 4 cyclone in 2005, the eye passed about 30klm's north bringing a tidal surge, lucky it was on low tide, where I sustained some damage. Assessor came from Sydney and it was a Friday, his last day here before catching a flight back in the afternoon involving a 2 hour drive to the airport in Cairns.

Complained the whole time about being away from home about the heat and area in general. He didn't seem to be taking in to much detail and when I quizzed him about the costing of the damage he said he was going to do it when he got back. Got no reply when I asked how he was going to do costings from his base, based in another state compared to a regional area 2500 klm's away between a state capital city, (Sydney), and the high cost of materials and labor here.

He done a shit job and the insurance company offer reflected that. I complained and thankfully the insurance company got a local accessor to re-access the damage. Did get more but the time delay between getting the first one and the second one dragged out, close to 10 months from the cyclone date. I was still lucky as some people still hadn't been accessed by then and took up to 3 years or more for some people.

2011 we had a Cat 5 cyclone go directly over us. We were in the eye for 45 min. The cyclone was traveling quite fast at around 35kph.

Bit of damage and no delays or complaints as the Gov't pushed the insurance companies to get off their ass. I have first hand knowledge of the waste and no tender insurance company preferred trade companies, who had done previous work for them, who came from a far as Sydney, 2500klm's away Bypassing local tradesmen and inflating prices that they later put back onto the insurance premiums.

With the flooding and fires they can do what they like and remove or insert clauses so they can bypass any future damage through global warming. They do offer some options at an exorbitant rate to cover those eventualities.

With my recent cottage break in and theft I spoke to my insurance agent today to discuss whether it was worth it to file a claim. One of the first things said was it wasn’t worth it since it was such a small loss. Only $5,000. I went through the possible rate increase scenarios and they didn’t seem too bad. Then she said my rates be high until they get their money back for the claim. Crooks!
Wish I could think of $5.000 as a small loss:(

When I was a wee boy, me Mum pointed out that all the big offices in the city were owned by insurance companies. She said, 'They don't get rich by paying money out. If you're late with your payment, tough, you're not covered. But if you make a claim, that's when the waiting starts. They won't pay you one penny if there's anyway to weasel out of it, then they'll assess the claim in their own good time and on their terms, then they'll make you a low offer and see if you accept it. And if you don't accept their offer then it's back to tough.'

I've always kept that in mind. I have m/c insurance because it's a legal necessity, I have the house covered because it would be stoopid not to. But nuffin' else. Whenever I buy anything, the salesperson offers insurance or extended warranty and the answer is always the same. No breakdown/recovery cover. No holiday insurance. Reckon I've saved enough down the years not to moan if I have to pay up to have somebody recover a motorbike. But come to think of it, that's never actually happened.

When I bought the W800, asked about the free first service. How the man laughed, 'Oh, we used to do that, years ago. But not now.' But he was kind enough to point out, if you don't have all the services done by the dealer, your warranty will be invalid. Yeah, right.

Done me own servicing right from the start. There was one factory recall a few years after I bought the bike and Big K honoured that - no questions about dealer servicing.

As @nj1639 says, they exploit people's fears.

When I was a wee boy, me Mum pointed out that all the big offices in the city were owned by insurance companies. She said, 'They don't get rich by paying money out. If you're late with your payment, tough, you're not covered. But if you make a claim, that's when the waiting starts. They won't pay you one penny if there's anyway to weasel out of it, then they'll assess the claim in their own good time and on their terms, then they'll make you a low offer and see if you accept it. And if you don't accept their offer then it's back to tough.'

I've always kept that in mind. I have m/c insurance because it's a legal necessity, I have the house covered because it would be stoopid not to. But nuffin' else. Whenever I buy anything, the salesperson offers insurance or extended warranty and the answer is always the same. No breakdown/recovery cover. No holiday insurance. Reckon I've saved enough down the years not to moan if I have to pay up to have somebody recover a motorbike. But come to think of it, that's never actually happened.

When I bought the W800, asked about the free first service. How the man laughed, 'Oh, we used to do that, years ago. But not now.' But he was kind enough to point out, if you don't have all the services done by the dealer, your warranty will be invalid. Yeah, right.

Done me own servicing right from the start. There was one factory recall a few years after I bought the bike and Big K honoured that - no questions about dealer servicing.

As @nj1639 says, they exploit people's fears.
As someone who's in the auto body business, I could go on for days about what they have done to body shops and what they do to a customers car. You generally don't get OEM parts, you get poor fitting, poor quality Chinese knockoffs. The only one's getting rich are the insurance companies and some of the "Big Box" bodyshop chains.

Done me own servicing right from the start.

Yeah, I went through the same crap with my new Suzuki. The warranty was only a puny one year anyways. The service shop at my dealer was unimpressive. I prefer to do my own work.
They always try that BS. It's been illegal for years.

It even spells that out right in the owners manual. All you need to do to maintain your warranty is follow the recommended service schedule and use the recommended fluids and such, and keep written records and receipts! 😉
There wuz a posting here, just a moment ago, sure there wuz. I guess moderator has been at work?

It's like having your own personal Spam-bot!

I started this thread five years ago and didn’t even realize there had been any activity. What did I miss? 🤷‍♂️

Back