Day at the shop.....

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
… got to the shop today.... 81' Xs650 sitting there.. owner said fuel flow'n out of the bowl. So.. he had rebuild kits with floats.
Pull'd carbs off... and noted they have been apart before... pretty sure Yamaha didn't use slotted screws on several areas... also many of the stock screws had been " ham fisted ". I got the carbs separated and discovered the " T " fuel fitting had a small tear at the area that enters one of the carb bodies. Hummm.. the " flow'n out of the bowl "..?...

I tank'd the carbs,, float bowls... then ultra sound'd… we noted that one of the float bowls was missing the small copper " jet ? " in the bottom.... I had the last set of used 82' carbs stashed.. removed both bowls and they had jets (?) in each... removed the black paint (82's where all black).. and also used the " T " fuel fitting.... reassembled the carbs... toss'd them back on.... rerouted the cutch cable.. some nimrod had a almost 90 degree bend routed.... clutch action was much better....

……. test ride when well.. but the handlebars was slightly off.... someone recently install gathers.. so we tweaked them......also a slight rotate'n noise at the rear wheel... the previously mentioned nimrod ran a bolt that was too long and it just hit the rear brake sprocket bolts.

… the 81' test'd out... run well.. idles well.... owner had a shifter that was about 2 inches longer then stock.. from.. ?.... had to lift the foot to shift.... suggested a stock shifter....

then.. my buddies headlight quit on his 77'.... (I had electrical gremlins)… took some time.. loose wire in the headlight bucket....

… next week.. we put the motor back in the Tx750.....

Attachments

• Xs 81 carb 1.jpg
    Xs 81 carb 1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 81 Xs carb 2.jpg
    81 Xs carb 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 81 Xs carb 3.jpg
    81 Xs carb 3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 81 Xs carb 4.jpg
    81 Xs carb 4.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 127
It's just amazing the things you find done to old bikes, actually any old machinery in general. On the one I'm currently fixing up, among other things, I found the speedo cable installed upside down, clutch worm gear clean inside with absolutely no grease in it, and the round alternator cover Yamabonded to the the main cover, lol. That last one really had me shaking my head.

and the round alternator cover Yamabonded to the the main cover, lol. That last one really had me shaking my head.
Guess they dint want the electrons leaking out..... :rolleyes:

Mike's sells a longer shift lever like that. Calls it a long john, for those with big feet that find it hard to get foot under stock lever. It also helps finding neutral, the longer lever having more leverage it help over come some of the clutch drag. Have one on the 75. I just slide my foot forward so heel rests on peg for upshifts.
A bit clumsy, going back to stock.
It may work ok if some one extended to pegs a bit forward.
Leo

… got to the shop today.... 81' Xs650 sitting there.. owner said fuel flow'n out of the bowl. So.. he had rebuild kits with floats.
Pull'd carbs off... and noted they have been apart before... pretty sure Yamaha didn't use slotted screws on several areas... also many of the stock screws had been " ham fisted ". I got the carbs separated and discovered the " T " fuel fitting had a small tear at the area that enters one of the carb bodies. Hummm.. the " flow'n out of the bowl "..?...

I tank'd the carbs,, float bowls... then ultra sound'd… we noted that one of the float bowls was missing the small copper " jet ? " in the bottom.... I had the last set of used 82' carbs stashed.. removed both bowls and they had jets (?) in each... removed the black paint (82's where all black).. and also used the " T " fuel fitting.... reassembled the carbs... toss'd them back on.... rerouted the cutch cable.. some nimrod had a almost 90 degree bend routed.... clutch action was much better....

……. test ride when well.. but the handlebars was slightly off.... someone recently install gathers.. so we tweaked them......also a slight rotate'n noise at the rear wheel... the previously mentioned nimrod ran a bolt that was too long and it just hit the rear brake sprocket bolts.

… the 81' test'd out... run well.. idles well.... owner had a shifter that was about 2 inches longer then stock.. from.. ?.... had to lift the foot to shift.... suggested a stock shifter....

then.. my buddies headlight quit on his 77'.... (I had electrical gremlins)… took some time.. loose wire in the headlight bucket....

… next week.. we put the motor back in the Tx750.....
Hi. Noticed you mentioned putting the motor back in a TX750. Do you have any pictures of the engine in bits (apart). Thanks.

Back