Decisions. Decisions

acepatt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Need advice. I have a 76 that im fixing up but cant decide whether to keep it stock since it is in excellent condition. or build a mild custom cafe style which I have many parts to so. including a 400 gas tank and a dual disk front fork assembly.

Attachments

• 20160726_192421.jpg
    20160726_192421.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 167
Honestly I'd go cafe. The bike doesn't exactly scream vintage. It's not one of the old ones with all the chrome, front and rear drum brakes, vintage colors and all. At a quick glance it just says old motorcycle. If you could go the route of making it look like an older vintage restoration then sure, but really, I ( and it's only an opinion ) see an opportunity to go vintage bad ass cafe. Maybe a vintage racing paint job to give it that fresh from the track look. Older style lettering, colors, accents you could do allot with that.

Hi Patt:

Well, first of all, I don't think it's a '76 - at least the forks aren't. They're earlier for sure (fore-mounted caliper). The seat looks like it's off an early Special (maybe a 79?) and the ape-hangers.....who knows? The engine doesn't have an oil level sight glass so it's early as well (or at least the clutch cover is). The mufflers look like '75 parts and the fork gaiters look....like they were added on later. Yeah, I'm no expert, but I'd guess that is a 1975 XS650B with a newer seat, uncomfortable handlebars, fake gaiters and a bit of a paint job.

I hate to see old motorcycles cut-up, but you've already got a bit of a "Heinz57" mixed breed there, so if you can make a nice clean functional cafe out of it....why not. Please just don't toss the exhaust system - there are lots of folks who'd love to have it, I'm sure.

On the other hand, you've got a nearly complete, fully functional '74 or '75 there. Get yourself a reasonable seat, a paint job and some repro decals from (www.diablocycles.com) - and you be back to a really nice survivor in one of the prettiest colour schemes ever put on a bike - the '75 Yamaha XS650B. Oh yeah, ditch those bars....please.
- Seat - $50-150 (I think)
- Paint - simple gloss black - cost...open your wallet and we'll see.
- Decals - $99 CDN (around $70 USD) - and they're excellent.
- Bars - $20 at a salvage yard or swap meet.
- Owning a little piece of history.....priceless.

If you do that and do it well, you'd have a pretty and pretty valuable bike and Fredintoon would not call you a f@cking vandal.

Cheers, and please keep us posted either way.

Pete

+1.

Gauges, front forks - lowers have the caliper mounted forward, Mufflers, Gas Cap all scream 74TXA - 75XSB

74TXA 447 000101 - 012150. ....................75XSB 447 100101 - 128650.....................Check your vin no Chart HERE
Getting rare to find good chrome on these now. Worth more in original condition.

Seat is of a 78SE......79SF.......79S II.......80G S II Worth a swap for a good Standard seat 74-78. ,79F have a different seat foam, pans the same

Last edited:
Thanks eveybody for the response. lots to consider. my big fingers punched 76 on the phone it is a 75. but I have little knowledge in whats original and not. it looks unmolested no signs of hacking, the bars are the first thing to go....;-)

This is one build idea I had. except a brittish racing green tank. out of curiosity where can I find factory color options for my year of bike

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 125
The '75 colour was called Star Black I think. Does some have an accurate set of colour chips for our bikes?

Pete I've been chasing this for about a year, there isn't any one who knows this, well as far as I've found so far.....star black is correct for 75B

Well, that's good - but now we need a way of defying what the heck Star Black really is (and French Red & Blue...etc.).

Need advice. I have a 76 that im fixing up but cant decide whether to keep it stock since it is in excellent condition. or build a mild custom cafe style which I have many parts to so. including a 400 gas tank and a dual disk front fork assembly.

Hi Ace,
put it back to stock, it's worth more money that way.
If you insist on installing those extra parts don't cut nothin' and carefully save the stock parts to put back on for resale or if you change your mind.

The current tank and tins are tolerable and a bit reminiscent of the '78 and '79 Standards. Toss them bars and gators.
That seat is one of the more comfortable seats for the early Specials. I fabbed one for my '83 along with an early rear fender/ tail light swap, and I'd do it again. Good to see the chrome strips still there.
Find a stock seat for the year and ride on for a season.

Hi Ace,
put it back to stock, it's worth more money that way.
If you insist on installing those extra parts don't cut nothin' and carefully save the stock parts to put back on for resale or if you change your mind.

Yup - Fred's suggestion is a better scheme - BUT - please consider returned it to stock.

Another chopper/bobber/brat tracker isn't going to make a difference, but a beautifully restored '75 XS650B.....mmmmmmm, nice. THAT bike would turn heads - believe me.

Pete

Thank you everyone. I agree I have heavily leaning back to stock. I didnt care for the black and gold look. but Im a sucker for black and chrome. since it is not missing much I will leave it stock. keep the later seat on it. clean up the forks and put the proper bars on it. the exhaust and chrome fenders are in perfect condition no rust or dents.

Good for you!

I used my '76 standard as a daily rider for several months this past summer and fall and frankly, it is a darned good motorcycle as-is and the stock riding position is about as good as it gets for me. I was stopped in traffic and parking lots quite often by people who wanted to know about it.

Cheers,

Pete

If you keep that Special seat on it then consider keeping an eye out for a set of the early Special metal tins. I believe they'll swap directly and they're angled to match that seats contour....if I have the presence of mind I'll check tomorrow to see if they swap.

Consider replacing the rubber brake lines as well. I'm sure they need it. Fork gaiters are a nice and worthwhile option but yours weren't done very well. The ones made for truck shocks work well, fit great, and are cheap. I use the Daystar brand, part #KU20002BK in black .....

ForkBoots.jpg

ForkBoots3.jpg

ForkGaiters.jpg

Back