delete this

I totally agree.I have been on the gs resources forum about 15 years.For years lots of guys did extensive work,frame mods, grafting on gixxer forks,monoshocks.I said why dont you guys just go buy a bandit.I got attacked.Now many of them are older and wiser and some great restorations are more prevalent.Still they have guys grafting on sportbike parts,swingarms,neck mods,rearsets.Really dumb stuff. But those gs 1000 engines are very well designed and easy to work on.My only choice for vintage apart from these great little twins.

It's also amazing how many uncompleted chop/bob projects keep popping up on Craigslist and Kijiji in Canada.
Guys run out of steam or money I guess. Too each his own, but it's sad when a restorable bike gets sawed and dropped.
I just saw one.A guy is asking $5000. He has a sliver of seat bouncing around on tractor springs.hardtail rear end,means harsh ride no shocks.No rear fender.mile high apehangers.A sissybar that splits the sky.A peanut tank even smaller than our stock ones.$5,000! I would giive him 500 if the motor was good.

I've been asking myself, why am I building a bobber/hardtail ? Well, honestly, in my case, I never had a love for the XS. I did ride my '74 in stock form and I was impressed. I can agree that it is all the bike that a person needs, I mean, all of the basics are there. The engine is one of the best looking engines ever made and the horsepower is more than adequate for one rider and the size of them. I have a touring bike and I have bikes that fill the cruiser and sportbike needs that I have. I'm not a Harley fan but the one that I've always wanted was the prewar knucklehead hardtail. I've always been partial to the Triumph hardtails too. So, the bobber that I'm building will fill this niche for me, the one style of bike that I have never had. I've done mods on bikes before, I've brought bikes back from the dead before, not really why I'm doing this, been there done that. For me, I guess it's about, almost, making every step, decision and choice by myself. Working on my other bikes was not the same as this. Doing the other bikes was like being on a rail with not so many personal choices. Please excuse this, but I gotta say that the other bikes were almost, no brainers. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but I just had to do something different and I'm just too old to race.

Scott

I've been asking myself, why am I building a bobber/hardtail ? Well, honestly, in my case, I never had a love for the XS. I did ride my '74 in stock form and I was impressed. I can agree that it is all the bike that a person needs, I mean, all of the basics are there. The engine is one of the best looking engines ever made and the horsepower is more than adequate for one rider and the size of them. I have a touring bike and I have bikes that fill the cruiser and sportbike needs that I have. I'm not a Harley fan but the one that I've always wanted was the prewar knucklehead hardtail. I've always been partial to the Triumph hardtails too. So, the bobber that I'm building will fill this niche for me, the one style of bike that I have never had. I've done mods on bikes before, I've brought bikes back from the dead before, not really why I'm doing this, been there done that. For me, I guess it's about, almost, making every step, decision and choice by myself. Working on my other bikes was not the same as this. Doing the other bikes was like being on a rail with not so many personal choices. Please excuse this, but I gotta say that the other bikes were almost, no brainers. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but I just had to do something different and I'm just too old to race.

Scott
I am sure you didnt offend anyone.its your bike and I imagine your work is good.Just several of us think its destroying a classic iconic bike.

My wife came home yesterday.exclaimed what is that smell, I am not putting my car in the garage.It was gunk engine spray.Oh well, when it comes to putting either her new impala or my xs in the garage its an obvious choice.She needs to keep her windows down a little.its really hot in the driveway.

Doing the other bikes was like being on a rail with not so many personal choices. Please excuse this, but I gotta say that the other bikes were almost, no brainers. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but I just had to do something different and I'm just too old to race.

I don't think you offended either Scott. I admire you for tackling a project like that. In the end you will be able to look at it with pride knowing you built it, your way. That will give you a huge sense of satisfaction and fill that bucket list bike spot.

I guess a lot of guys get started on these lacking the experience to be able to finish them, and then abandon them, that's what's too bad.

You will see it through to completion, and hope we get to see it too. Enjoy your project.

Did some pretty serious comparison on the tube/tubeless, the only difference I could find on THESE mags, is the valve stem hole. Lip profile is identical. NONE of them are modern rims with a second tire retention bead.

just took some carb parts off.whatcha think? seafoam or just put them back together? the rubber diaphragms seem stuck.they are around a white plastic center.what is the trick getting them out

Attachments

• 20170617_070711.jpg
    20170617_070711.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 111
Are you asking/saying the diaphragms are stuck or the slide needle is stuck not allowing the slide to come out?

the plastic tubes with the rubber diaphragms will not budge.the butterflies dont move, the choke mechanism wont move. the floats themselves were crusted with this blackcrud.after spraying generously with carb cleaner one of them started moving.I have to get the diaphragms out to continue to dissasemble and clean.I now have the whole carb bank soaking in warm water and dawn soap.maybe after a few hours it will loosen up.I thought I could just reach in and pull out the diaphragms.But they are like glued in with all this black crud and varnish.probably nastiest carbs you have seen.And will the floats themselves come out, is there a pin that goes through the float towers.Its so dirty hard to tell.And my clymers sucks in this section.

Take the carbs out of the bath, dry them a bit. Point a hair dryer, NOT a heat gun, into a throttle bore let the carb get good and warm, the slide will then move. This has ALWAYS worked for me, gas varnish softens with heat. If you can CAREFULLY remove the diaphragm lip from the carb body you can put a bit of mineral spirits or PB blaster in at the top to work down around the piston. It sounds like someone attempted to seal up a petcock with "aircraft gasket sealer". Gas dissolves his crap, it then migrates down into the carb and makes an unholy mess. Good luck and we want to see before and after pics. Do not let carb cleaner get anywhere near the diaphragms.

Wasp larvae wrapped in leaves both these carbs were full of them
fall and bs34s 005.JPG

A "real gummy" slide removed with the hair dryer method.
79BS38s 005.JPG

Do not separate the diaphragm from the slide. They are one unit, like gggGary's pic shows.

just took some carb parts off.whatcha think? seafoam or just put them back together? the rubber diaphragms seem stuck.they are around a white plastic center.what is the trick getting them out
Well I guess you win the prize for the nastiest looking carbs of the week! My only advice is to not try to rush things, a lot of good suggestions already have been made.

Actually you were a bit luckier than my last pair, had to drill out a couple of the screw heads to get the bowls off and even at that one of the bowls cracked around the screw hole before it came off. And that was on a set of carbs that came off a running engine! Well that bike spent over 15 years running year round in New York State so it did see its share of road salt.

Well I guess you win the prize for the nastiest looking carbs of the week! My only advice is to not try to rush things, a lot of good suggestions already have been made.

Actually you were a bit luckier than my last pair, had to drill out a couple of the screw heads to get the bowls off and even at that one of the bowls cracked around the screw hole before it came off. And that was on a set of carbs that came off a running engine! Well that bike spent over 15 years running year round in New York State so it did see its share of road salt.
I did the hairdryer thing.one slide came out after twsiting it back and forth with needlenose.the other is not budging.I have the whole carb set back in the dawn dishwashing liquid tub.After an hour i will try again.The rubber diaphragm did pull away from the slide a bit in one place.Can that be pushed back on or will i have to buy another one.And i doubt one is available is it?

Back