Did I kill my TCI box?

jonyappleseeds

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'll just get right down to it.

So i just finished wiring up an led tail and turn signals to a perfectly running 81 xs65o with stock tci (which is kick only), only to find that when I give her that one two kick I get a nice blast from 650cc of pre detonation right to the kicker which is now in the shape of a bananna.

Let me rewind this story, that led tail light I bought had me chasing wires and blowing fuses all because I couldn't get my running light to glow on account of the light i bought came with a loose wire. (I also had the battery charging which could have everything to do with this)

I can only get my bike to pop and kick and it idled for a couple seconds but never accelerated just died.

I've been sourcing information for my xs from here for a while now and I have never been steered wrong..Now tell me.. did I melt my tci box? is my battery dead

Im stumped, sweaty, and my foot hurts
any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys

One test that the guys here have come up with, is to unplug the regulator and try kickstarting.
With the regulator unplugged, the rotor doesn't get power, doesn't get magnetized.
If the bike starts and runs better, then suspect a weak trigger magnet that gets overshadowed by the rotor's magnetism...

One thing I would double check is the wiring on light. I have installed a bunch of LED lights and have found that the colors are not what they are to be BLACK is not ground and RED may not be hot. You may be floating a ground if bike worked before.
I just did one and LED tail had three wires YELLOW BLUE BLACK Well YELLOW was GROUND and BLUE was BRAKE light and BLACK was running light.
And if I grounded the black both lights came on together WEIRD.
I tell everyone on tail light turn signals or head light TEST before you put it in line on the harness. SIMPLE test with battery and mark your wires.
I just had a neighbor buy a used HARLEY and his headlight was a aftermarket one and didn't work. He took it to Dealer and they told him may be as much as $500 because it could be bad harness..... NOPE BLACK wire was hooked to ground and the WHITE wire was the GROUND not the BLACK. Three wires WHITE BLACK BLUE.... WHITE GROUND BLUE HIGH BEAM BLACK LOW BEAM. 10 mins I have lights.

thanks guys I will try unpluging the regulator, and I will also check my wiring although I have all my lighting working but my bike was running before I messed with it so its worth a look.

OK, I unplugged the regulator and it starts right up and runs just fine maybe better. plug it back it and it dies.. What in the heck did I do? or did it just die on me, And how do I fix this. I cant ride with this unplugged right the battery will evenutally die correct?

One test that the guys here have come up with, is to unplug the regulator and try kickstarting.
With the regulator unplugged, the rotor doesn't get power, doesn't get magnetized.
If the bike starts and runs better, then suspect a weak trigger magnet that gets overshadowed by the rotor's magnetism...

If it's a weak trigger magnet you can pick up a rare earth magnet in 1/4 X 1/16 at radio shack, possibly, and epoxy it above the magnet that's on the charging rotor.

awesome, Just glued up the rare earth magnet ill let the epoxy set for awhile before i run it. I should be able to plug the regulator back in and start it up normally correct?

Thanks again for all the info this is a great place

Back