Did not make it home in one piece

Well, jeeze, Mick. I'm with Weekendrider, hope it mends well.

Marty centerpunches a pickup, breaks a bike in two, and dances afterwards.
You have an altercation with gravity, and you're down for the count.

Not fair...

That cheered me up, I've broken my leg a couple of hours ago, ladder snapped on my way down it, the next snap was the leg. No riding for me for a while anyway

I HATE LADDERS! I'm sorry for your bad luck. You're going to be down for a while. I hope you get 100% healed.

Hi Michaelo,
I am truly sorry that you broke your leg and I hope you heal up from it real soon.
Definitely NOT where I thought this string would be going.
I'm also sure most list members feel flattered that the first thing you did afterwards was to post here about it.
The next thing to do is phone your lawyer to sue the fellow who lent you a defective ladder.
Wait! It was YOUR ladder? That'll learn you to not buy cheap stuff.

Hi Michaelo,
I am truly sorry that you broke your leg and I hope you heal up from it real soon.
Definitely NOT where I thought this string would be going.
I'm also sure most list members feel flattered that the first thing you did afterwards was to post here about it.
The next thing to do is phone your lawyer to sue the fellow who lent you a defective ladder.
Wait! It was YOUR ladder? That'll learn you to not buy cheap stuff.

Thanks Fred, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, was trying to keep my mind elsewhere when I posted yesterday, just couldn't stop thinking of Marty......
The ladder was a gift from my fatherinlaw 25 years ago.........maybe he was hoping the bloody thing would break my neck :) ha!

Thanks Fred, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, was trying to keep my mind elsewhere when I posted yesterday, just couldn't stop thinking of Marty......
The ladder was a gift from my fatherinlaw 25 years ago.........maybe he was hoping the bloody thing would break my neck :) ha!
Hi Mick,
I don't see your post as a hijack, it was entirely to the point that Marty was lucky to walk away mostly uninjured, able to do a happy dance and to be free of blame (because it's always the motorcyclist's fault, right?) from a collision that did that much damage to his bike while you broke your leg due to a ladder failure.
And perhaps the ladder's failure wasn't all it's fault neither. What environment was the ladder stored in between uses and what's your weight these days, compared to what it was 25 years ago?

Fred, you are correct....age of ladder, my weight hasn't changed much but this is one old ladder that should have been used in the fire pit years ago. A friend visited yesterday and went and had a look where the ladder was and came back up with one of the broken bits.
It was snapped off at a rung, 6' up from the bottom. I feel real lucky as to the extent of the injuries, a bit like Marty, he was lucky too....
Tomorrow I'll be back in hospital to see if the fracture requires surgery, hopefully not, and at this stage I don't think so....
I can say that all I heard was a loud "crack" and I was on my way down, seeing the ladder fold away from me and hitting the deck was pretty bloody quick. The second "crack" must have been the bone fracture.....
The large rock my head missed was by inches, according to my daughters, they also want me to take up a hobby that wraps me up in cotton balls....12 months ago this week I fractured my hand (radius and scapula) after a fall off my mountain bike on the way back from the gym....that's what started my reasoning to buy a XS650.....whilst I was recovering from that

image.jpeg

OUCH!!!!!!!!
Damnit boys you're going to have to stop this. Mick......hope you heal quickly. You are lucky it wasn't worst but breaking a major bone is bad enough.

Marty......hope by now your on the mend and back on two wheels.

Y'all be careful out there, ya hear????.......................Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Michaelo, that really sucks! I'm sorry about the bad luck. I hope it improves and you can heal up without surgery.

As for me. I'm great considering the near death experience. I'll be sore for a while yet, but I'm much better. Thanks, all!

Thanks again for the well wishes, Marty, hope the injuries are getting better, you're one lucky dude man.
Jonesey, cheers mate , won't be riding my XS for six weeks, that's sad, hey Gordon, check your pm's I sent you one ages ago with no reply? Might start a "death cheaters" thread ha! Marty certainly qualifies for that, my girls tell me my head missed a very large rock by inches, I think I was a very lucky boy.....

That cheered me up, I've broken my leg a couple of hours ago, ladder snapped on my way down it, the next snap was the leg. No riding for me for a while anyway
Get better quickly, my friend. I'm nearly recovered from dropping the bike on my knee last month. Itching to ride, but the setback put me behind on getting the bike in condition.

So now I've been ridin' around, running errands, seafood lunch, fillup, ...etc. Heading back, decided to stop at a nice shady spot near the creek for a smoke and hydration break. A bit tired and heat drenched, semi-soft unlevel ground, go to put it on the centerstand, a bit off balance, didn't grab the framerail correctly, lifted, then heard and felt a *crackle/rip* in my right elbow and forearm.

Side-stand time.

Managed to get home, bike's in the barn, on its sidestand.

I always park it on the centerstand. Have a plan involving a come-a-long and straps.

But, now settin' here with a sore elbow/forearm, watchin' for swelling.

It *had* to happen. There are those who have, and those who will. We're droppin' like flies here.

So, I'm out for a couple of weeks. Walking wounded, and counting...

So now I've been ridin' around, running errands, seafood lunch, fillup, ...etc. Heading back, decided to stop at a nice shady spot near the creek for a smoke and hydration break. A bit tired and heat drenched, semi-soft unlevel ground, go to put it on the centerstand, a bit off balance, didn't grab the framerail correctly, lifted, then heard and felt a *crackle/rip* in my right elbow and forearm.

Side-stand time.

Managed to get home, bike's in the barn, on its sidestand.

I always park it on the centerstand. Have a plan involving a come-a-long and straps.

But, now settin' here with a sore elbow/forearm, watchin' for swelling.

It *had* to happen. There are those who have, and those who will. We're droppin' like flies here.

So, I'm out for a couple of weeks. Walking wounded, and counting...

sorry to hear that 2M . Best thing I've found for any inflamatory condition is Naproxen 500mg twice daily . it nearly always works on my spine within a few days. It reduces the pain better than Co-promimal 500/30mg .
Gel packs from the freezer works good too. Most of the pain often comes from the inflamation, swelling and tissue odema

I cannot manage to lift my bike onto the centre stand at all . I thought it was you that suggested pushing the rear wheel onto a 3/4" thick piece of plywood to reduce height you need to lift the bike ?

Last edited:
Oh LORD......NOT another one!!!!! Damn 2M........take it easy and heal quickly. This list of the "almost" walking wounded is getting TOO long.
You boys ( and girls?) stop that.

I'm going to have to try that plywood deal peanut. I had to cut the lifting handle off mine so I could mount the hard bags. (yep I have it put away so it can be re-welded on if need be) ....without the handle it's a bear to get on the stand.....and like 2M I have always tired to have the bike on the centerstand (one of God's greatest inventions IMHO....(ranks right up there with AC and a remote control for the TV). I dragged my feet on a purchase of a chrome handle that I know I could have made fit .......but waited a bit too long and somebody bought it before I made up my mind......damnit. I still have a photo of it and know the bike it came off of.....so the search continues.

Heal quickly, Marty, Mick and 2M.......your friend in NC......Gordon Hmmmmmmmm?????? Seeing a pattern here....m's?????

Oh LORD......NOT another one!!!!! Damn 2M........take it easy and heal quickly. This list of the "almost" walking wounded is getting TOO long.
You boys ( and girls?) stop that.

I'm going to have to try that plywood deal peanut. I had to cut the lifting handle off mine so I could mount the hard bags. (yep I have it put away so it can be re-welded on if need be) ....without the handle it's a bear to get on the stand.....and like 2M I have always tired to have the bike on the centerstand (one of God's greatest inventions IMHO....(ranks right up there with AC and a remote control for the TV). I dragged my feet on a purchase of a chrome handle that I know I could have made fit .......but waited a bit too long and somebody bought it before I made up my mind......damnit. I still have a photo of it and know the bike it came off of.....so the search continues.
I think it might have been 2M .There is a little photo sequence of how you do it somewhere ?
its useful to carry a small 4" square of plywood anyway if you ride a lot . Theres always some rally or show or other where you have to use a side stand on grass or soft earth.

What year is your bike Gordon ? I had trouble identifying the correct grab rail /scissybar for my 79 Special ll. I bought two types that didn't fit before 5Twins and XSleo
identified the correct type for me. The problem is sellers never put dimensions on anything .
Like the idea of throw over bags myself I might look into that after todays nightmare ride.

Okay a bit of a thread steal....sorry in advance.

Peanut, my XS650 is a B model and the handle I'm talking about is actually the one on the frame not the seat/rack/sissy bar. I'm going to mount/fab another and probably try to get it a little lower on the frame and out of the way of the bags. Throw over bags are great IMO. I gave my last set to my brother and will probably end up with another set for one of my other bikes. But I do have to admit.....I like the hard bags better but they do have their drawbacks.

Glad you're feeling better Marty.......word has it Mick is struggling with pain and swelling (ugh) 2M probably has some of that today too.

Geeze fellows.......we're getting old...heh?

Your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Back