Differances between tx650 and xs650

poolman966554

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First off, EXCELLENT forum. I've been reading for days and it's very well done.

A lil background if you want, Im 29y old, have an extensive background with sport bikes, dirt bikes, and 4 wheelers.. Pretty good in the garage too.. I currently have a yzf600r for the street, and in the process of tryin to get an cbr1000rr track bike together. Also have a 125cc pitbike that i tool around on:laugh:

My father hasn't ridin since i was born, and he just purchased a 1974 tx650 (same model he owned 29y ago!) and she needs alil tlc to get her running right, and i cant seem to find a specific forum for his particular model. I have noticed that the parts fiche kinda hints that the TX was a replacement for the XS during 73'-74'. Is this correct?

As title states, Im mainly trying to find things such as wiring schematics, and mostly general info, parts compatibility, for whatever i come across when i tear her down.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as i wanna finally get out there and ride with my pops! Thanks!!

Well lets start by saying welcome to the board.
The TX650 was what the XS650 was called in 73, In 74 it was the TX650A. Most of what you need can be found here. If you look up at the top of the page there is an XS650 TECH, click it, this leads you to a section that has a listing of threads that are very common things about these bikes.
There is a thread on wiring diagrams, one on getting to know your 650.
Lots of good reading in there.
Getting a repair manual should be step one. Clymer and Haynes have them that cover all years from 70 up.
biker.net has some years downloadable. I like the faxctory books put out by Yamaha. They can be found on Ebay, Amazon. Mike's xs has them as well as many replacement parts, 650central sells parts.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is a good read.
Read and learn, we are here to help.
Leo
Oh, pics are nice.

Thank you very much! i am really happy to hear that all the tech info is relevant!! Hopefully we'll have her road worthy in a couple weeks!

Yamaha went to the TX designation in 73 because they had come out with the TX750, so I guess for uniformity sake, the 650 became a TX. The TX 750 had lots of problems and became a drag on sales. In 1975 they dumped the TX & went back to the XS designations.

Remember each year, new doodads are added, so the 74 is different from the 73. The frame of the 74 is a little bit different from the 73. I have read the new frame that took some of the 73's quirky behavior out of the 74. Watch things like foot pegs. I suggest you go to any of the sites listed and down load the 74 parts diagrams. Check part numbers for your year. I can tell you from my own experiences, some parts are common to the 73/74, and a number of them are not.

They also had the TX500. Both the TX 500 and 750 were poor sellers and had many problems. The TX 650 was a much better bike. When they discontinued the TX 500 and TX 750 they keep the TX 650 and went back to the XS prefix.
The 73 TX650 was built on the same frame the earlier models were. For the 74 year they made many frame changes to stiffen the frame.
In the parts lists you will se pics of the frames. If you look closely you will see the mods. More bracing around the rear of the frame where the swing arm bolts on. As well as at the top where the shocks mount. The way the engine lower mount is on top of the frame instead of through the frame. Extra beacing around the steering head and down the frame tubes.
Leo

Back