look what I got! xl250

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
So, many of you know, I scored a really nice 1971 xs650 for 3k, that also came with buckets of hardware and parts, clean title neck, a warped hardtailed 650 frame with title, and engine.
The guy I baught it from gave me everything he had, except a 1980 xs650, that if I get back on the road, I can have this sweet little gem.
[/URL][/IMG]
Right now, it doesn't run, but has been kept in a heated garage since 1979, last time it was registered. I heard it run 2 years ago. But after that, it sucked something into the carb. then no start. I hope a valve isn't bent.
I got it home, and it was covered in sawdust. pressure washed it, yanked the carb off, and it was full of sawdust. I cleaned it all out.
Overall, its a good condition bike for 43 years old. The rims are still round, a slight flat spot on the front rim. tires look original, tank has been repainted. It has the battery cover that I saw go for $150. I tried to charge the battery(6 volt system) the guy put in it 2 years ago, it took a charge, but wont hold it. was at 5.5 volts last night, today down to 4 volts. I ve read it doesn't need a battery to run, but uses battery for lights. Anyone know? Im not even going to attamp to start it until I check the valves, new plug, new points, battery, basically the same ritual for waking up a barn find 650.
Ive already ordered a set of points and a manual. For a beginner bike that was very popular in its day, there isn't a lot of info on the interwebs. If only it were a 650'eh?
[/URL][/IMG]
As for the 650 that I have to fix to get the 250, the guy wants custom turn signals, with '71 controls, no sweat, and some maintanence. 4 years ago, I rebuilt the top end of it, and gave it Canadian needles, It does run, but as it sits right now, its a electrical nightmare.
He has put 71 wheels on it, lower shocks on the back, 1971 rear fender, and had the 71 rims powder coated bright blue. Not to my taste, but it isn't my bike.
Plans for the 250- teach my wife how to ride. Its light, not too much power, and when she's comfy with it, Ill throw her on my 680cc xs650(nod to funky) chop. When I built that, I told her it was hers. Sucker!!!!
So, If you have any knowledge on these bikes, other than you grew up on one, let me know. Ive been searching the web for days trying to find a good forum, or a free manual with no success.
cheers!!

Attachments

• IMG_1024_zps9jnttpbk.jpg
    IMG_1024_zps9jnttpbk.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1020_zpsws8s9cuk.jpg
    IMG_1020_zpsws8s9cuk.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Xls are great bikes.

No comment on that xs.....

Posted via Mobile
Thanks, gordon.
Yeah. his 650 was totally stock, and one of those most of us wouldn't put the sawzall to, but whatchagonnado? Its his. We've had many bikes come in and out of this forum that were decent runners, and good lookers, but got cut up anyways. I will prolly end up with that 650. His financial future doesn't seem very brite. If anything, I can at least flip it for 2k. it does run well, I just have to get it back to that.

Heres what that 650 looked like four years ago......
photo-vi.jpg

It was a good lookin clean 1980. And yes...it now has a front drum.

Wow, that XL250 looks to be in very good shape. I believe the stock exhaust system alone is worth a small fortune. They were one of my favorites. XL350 has been on my bucket list.

About the only things I remember about those are:

- Occasional problems with the headlight ballast resistor.

- Yes, ignition is an independent magneto powered points type.

- Not much else. Why? Of all the bikes that came through the shop, the XL250 was the "rock-solid" of the herd. Only had one down for top-end, and even that was uneventful...

I bought a new XL350 in '74 from Sturgess in Hamilton, stuck a Bassani pipe, plastic gas tank and knobbies on it and had a great summer. Sold it when I went to law school and did not return to the hobby until 2003.

Wow, that XL250 looks to be in very good shape. I believe the stock exhaust system alone is worth a small fortune. They were one of my favorites. XL350 has been on my bucket list.

About the only things I remember about those are:

- Occasional problems with the headlight ballast resistor.

- Yes, ignition is an independent magneto powered points type.

- Not much else. Why? Of all the bikes that came through the shop, the XL250 was the "rock-solid" of the herd. Only had one down for top-end, and even that was uneventful...
So it will run without a battery?
the battery is just for the lights?
Im going to do a compression test on it tonight, and that will determine its value. If the top end is junk, Ive read a xl350 top end is the same. ups the 250's 18 horses to whopping 22!

so today, changed the oil, cleaned the oil screen, cleaned the points. I was going to just put a new condenser on it, but the condenser is part of the coil.
Checked the valves, cleaned the points, squirted some oil in the plug hole, and checked compression. 150psi.
Put the plug in the spark plug boot, and kicked it over. It has spark, but is very small and yellow. hope it just needs new coil, but at least there is hope.
I filled the carb bowl with clean gas, and started kicking. The motor didn't even fart. Prolly no spark under compression. I even sprayed starting fluid straight in the plug hole. nothing. Plug was wet with gas, though. Even tried to bump start it a couple times in the driveway.
waiting on manual before going any further.

Back