Dilema-Can I cut up a new xs650?

Does anyone know what ever happened to the 83 in the original post?:umm: Maybe it went to a new owner that cut it up for a low mileage bobber.:yikes:

My father now owns the bike, that's why I commented here. I thought it was funny that this guy in the post was describing his bike to a T, that's how I know it is ours. I promise, this bike will remain stock and will never be chopped.

BnG,
Just remember, they might've made a zillion of 'em between 1970-1984(ish), but they are only stock once. Eventually, the world is going to run out of unmolested specimens of this fascinating motorcycle. :( (Unless you're Mailman, and you're doing restorations suitable for the Smithsonian! :wink2:) Best to keep the more pristine examples as is. There's plenty of stripped-down, ripped-up, failed "project", "basket cases" :wtf: out there for us to Frankenstein... :rock:

If it was that messed up when you got it, then you have the opportunity to do it right. And don't feel bad about any missing pieces. They probably needed to be replaced anyways... :rock:

It's a rare individual that can improve the looks over stock. That applies to any vehicle ever made my professionals. It can be done, but not by YOU. Remember that :) You will just start a crazy mess and you won't even finish that.

Hi xjwmx,
OK, the XS650 Standards are eff nigh perfect but I reckon any damn fool with a basic tool kit can improve the looks
and handling of an XS650 Special just by replacing the stock buckhorns with bars that ain't an ergonomic and aesthetic abortion.
And the Special's pathetically small gas tank keeps the bike real close to the nearest gas pump.
Which limitation is easily fixed by fitting the one gallon bigger Standard tank which drops right on.

Hi xjwmx,
OK, the XS650 Standards are eff nigh perfect but I reckon any damn fool with a basic tool kit can improve the looks
and handling of an XS650 Special just by replacing the stock buckhorns with bars that ain't an ergonomic and aesthetic abortion.
And the Special's pathetically small gas tank keeps the bike real close to the nearest gas pump.
Which limitation is easily fixed by fitting the one gallon bigger Standard tank which drops right on.
Fred, it depends on what you replace the buckhorn bars with. My point is few people are going to put anything in its place that doesn't look as bad or worse :D

I wouldn't call the Special's tank "pathetically small". I usually stop every 100 mi. and gas up, and have a stretch whether I need it or not (/sarcasm). Haven't figured out my miles per tank recently, but I remember that I have plenty of cushion doing that. I did have a I think 1 gal. can strapped on when I crossed the Sandhills. A trucker warned me gas stations were few out there. I remember I went on reserve and pulled over and poured in the can in view of Monument Rocks Nebraska, Kansas, someplace, My memory is great.

I think changing to more "normal" height bars transforms the Special model, both in the looks and handling departments. I've had the (dis)pleasure of riding with those buckhorns and they were awful when it came time to turn. I suppose one might grow used to them but why bother when relief is just $25 away, lol.

Fred, it depends on what you replace the buckhorn bars with. My point is few people are going to put anything in its place that doesn't look as bad or worse :D

Hi xjwmx,
bars is like shoes, they gotta fit to be comfortable and what'll fit one rider won't necessarily fit another.
But XS650 stock buckhorns only fit a rider who's wrist joints work at 90º to what's normal.
Which is why most folks instinctively feel they don't look right even before they try 'em.
"pathetically small" is a personal opinion, The UK market Britbikes I rode back 'ome all carried 4 gallons.
The stock Special tank's limited capacity forces a rider to swing like Tarzan from one gas pump to the next
when a larger tank lets the rider go to places of interest without first making sure that place has a gas station.
And that said gas station is actually open when you get there on a Sunday. (Been there done that in Bethune SK.
Did 40mph eco-cruise on reserve all the way to Davidson SK. Started shopping for a Standard tank the next day)
And yes! Carry a gas can, no matter how large a tank you got. Yamaha gas tap in-tank filters can fall out and sit
on the tank floor. Which means you lost the reserve as well as the filtration. Which means when you switch to
reserve it's already gone. And you can't dump in more gas unless you're carrying an extra can full.

Could you explain this? I just ordered new manual petcocks to replace my vacuum ones. I did buy a inline filters.
The filter also acts as a stand pipe for main fuel. Any fuel below that level is reserve. If it comes loose, there's no reserve.

Hi xjwmx,
bars is like shoes, they gotta fit to be comfortable and what'll fit one rider won't necessarily fit another.
But XS650 stock buckhorns only fit a rider who's wrist joints work at 90º to what's normal.
Which is why most folks instinctively feel they don't look right even before they try 'em.
"pathetically small" is a personal opinion, The UK market Britbikes I rode back 'ome all carried 4 gallons.
The stock Special tank's limited capacity forces a rider to swing like Tarzan from one gas pump to the next
when a larger tank lets the rider go to places of interest without first making sure that place has a gas station.
And that said gas station is actually open when you get there on a Sunday. (Been there done that in Bethune SK.
Did 40mph eco-cruise on reserve all the way to Davidson SK. Started shopping for a Standard tank the next day)
And yes! Carry a gas can, no matter how large a tank you got. Yamaha gas tap in-tank filters can fall out and sit
on the tank floor. Which means you lost the reserve as well as the filtration. Which means when you switch to
reserve it's already gone. And you can't dump in more gas unless you're carrying an extra can full.
Fred in much of the USA it's not that you don't have enough range to make it to the next gas station, but that you rode BY gas stations that you COULD have stopped at to gas up.

Fred in much of the USA it's not that you don't have enough range to make it to the next gas station, but that you rode BY gas stations that you COULD have stopped at to gas up.

Hi Gary,
same deal for the Canadian Prairies and add towns like Bethune SK or Steinbach MB that shut down on Sundays.
My point is that the more gas you can carry the less you have to sweat that shit.

You guys are lucky your Special tank holds near 3 gallons..........Over here they hold under 2 1/2 gallons

You guys are lucky your Special tank holds near 3 gallons..........Over here they hold under 2 1/2 gallons
Hi Skull,
that's because you Aussies are still man enough to swill beer by the Imperial Gallon just like us Canadians used to before we went Metric while the USA can only drink their pathetic 4% horsepiss by the Queen Anne Wine Gallon.
But WTF, the Special tank only holds 11 litres which ain't gonna get you very far, even in Kilometers.

- - - I would like to hear opinions and advice from everybody about this dilema. Should I make the bobber I want or would it be taboo to modify a "new" XS650?

Hi reallybigtim,
this post has drifted off topic since 2011 but to get back to the original question.
Can you cut up an original XS650? Of course you can. Just grab a Sawzall and chop away.
But should you? Even if it's yours and you are entitled to do what you want with it?
NO!, I defecate on your shadow you effin' Vandal. Resto and ride.

Back