diode check for '78-'83 rect/reg unit

aldo5468

Redleg
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My '82 with stock charging system stopped charging a couple nights ago - good to have a voltmeter - so I stepped carefully through the charging guide and got it charging again yesterday. In the course of doing all this, I did the diode test on the stock rectifier/regulator per the instructions in the S/SG manual supplement, comparing my results to the table shown in upper right of page 173. All my results of multiple tests of all 6 diodes with two different VOM's very consistently showed exactly the opposite of what the table indicates they should be in a good unit - continuity at all the X's and no continuity at all the O's. I was puzzled but reinstalled the unit, and it's working just fine, voltmeter showing 14VDC at 2000 rpm and above. Is something off in this table, or in my head?

My '82 with stock charging system stopped charging a couple nights ago - good to have a voltmeter - so I stepped carefully through the charging guide and got it charging again yesterday. In the course of doing all this, I did the diode test on the stock rectifier/regulator per the instructions in the S/SG manual supplement, comparing my results to the table shown in upper right of page 173. All my results of multiple tests of all 6 diodes with two different VOM's very consistently showed exactly the opposite of what the table indicates they should be in a good unit - continuity at all the X's and no continuity at all the O's. I was puzzled but reinstalled the unit, and it's working just fine, voltmeter showing 14VDC at 2000 rpm and above. Is something off in this table, or in my head?

Its very easy to get the polarity reversed when testing diodes. When using an analog VOM, you have to put the + red lead on the cathode of the diode. The cathode is the end with the "line", not the arrow. With resistance selected on the analog VOM, the red lead of the meter has a negative voltage present, which will show continuity if its connected to the "line". The meter's black lead will have a positive voltage, which will show continuity when connected to the "arrow".

It may seem backward, but that's how it works.

The important thing is not so much the polarity of the diodes as the resistance values through them both ways.
As long as the values you get are in spec, it's good.
Leo

Back