Disassemble a Stator?

Furious D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have run into another brick wall in this project. After the fiasco I endured trying to get my rotor rewound I thought I was ready to ride but after putting everything together it still would not charge.

I ran thru the charging tests and found the stator is grounded to the case now. I have good readings wire to wire ( .5 Ohms) but all three show a .2 ohm path to the case.

Right now its on my workbench. Has anyone ever pulled a stator apart and sucessfully fixed it without having it rewound? I am at the point now that I dont wont to spend much more money repairing the less than adequate stock system and would like to upgrade to the Pamco system anyway . If I go that route it looks like I will have to upgrade the ignition as well since its an 81 with TCI.

The ignition is the "Pamco" unit/system & a totally separate system from your stator/charging system. Your original stator & charging system can be replaced with a PMA setup from here. I am not a big fan of the standard system & most people have issues with them, depends what your budget is....

Should of said Pamco ignition and Hugh's Permenant magnet alternator.

I wish it was in the budget right now but I am getting ready to put a roof on the house and I wiped out my motorycle fund when I had to replace my riding mower. The $500 it would take to do this just isnt feasible right now. Worst case is that I will have to park the bike for the rest of the year and will fix it proper during the off-season.

Looks like the 80-84 stator is pretty hard to come by but I have read that you can use an earlier unit with a few mods. If I can find one for around than $50 I will go this route.

I have run into another brick wall in this project. After the fiasco I endured trying to get my rotor rewound I thought I was ready to ride but after putting everything together it still would not charge.

I ran thru the charging tests and found the stator is grounded to the case now. I have good readings wire to wire ( .5 Ohms) but all three show a .2 ohm path to the case.

Right now its on my workbench. Has anyone ever pulled a stator apart and sucessfully fixed it without having it rewound? I am at the point now that I dont wont to spend much more money repairing the less than adequate stock system and would like to upgrade to the Pamco system anyway . If I go that route it looks like I will have to upgrade the ignition as well since its an 81 with TCI.

Well, that just doesn't sound right. It's not likely that all three windings are shorted to the case, so if one of them was, you would read at least .5 Ohms from the other two to the shorted windings.

The three windings come together and the common connection to the center of the three windings is the yellow wire. I would take a look at the yellow wire and see if it is visibly shorted to the case.

Well, that just doesn't sound right. It's not likely that all three windings are shorted to the case, so if one of them was, you would read at least .5 Ohms from the other two to the shorted windings.

The three windings come together and the common connection to the center of the three windings is the yellow wire. I would take a look at the yellow wire and see if it is visibly shorted to the case.

Didnt sound right to me as well. I have inspected the wires as best as I can and do not see any spots where they make contact with the housing. I would like to get the stator out of the housing for a closer inspection but it doesnt want to budge. If it was simply a case of the wires touching the housing I can repair that but I have to get it out first.

I'm now convinced hanging a sidecar on 650 is the kiss of death.. lol sorry you are having all these problems

Didnt sound right to me as well. I have inspected the wires as best as I can and do not see any spots where they make contact with the housing. I would like to get the stator out of the housing for a closer inspection but it doesnt want to budge. If it was simply a case of the wires touching the housing I can repair that but I have to get it out first.

Well, I've rethought this and here is the latest. When you measure from one white wire to another, you are measuring the resistance of two of the three windings, so in your case, you measured .5 Ohms, which would mean that each of the windings is .25 Ohms, so measuring .2 Ohms from each white wire to the case means that the other end of each winding is shorted to the case and that is the yellow wire, which is the common wire from the other end of each of the three windings.

As a last ditch desperate fix, you could try applying battery voltage to any of the white wires and the case in an attempt to burn the short open, keeping in mind that if it doesn't work, it will really make things worse, but, what do you have to lose? Just use a jumper and connect to the battery briefly a few times.

Well, I've rethought this and here is the latest. When you measure from one white wire to another, you are measuring the resistance of two of the three windings, so in your case, you measured .5 Ohms, which would mean that each of the windings is .25 Ohms, so measuring .2 Ohms from each white wire to the case means that the other end of each winding is shorted to the case and that is the yellow wire, which is the common wire from the other end of each of the three windings.

As a last ditch desperate fix, you could try applying battery voltage to any of the white wires and the case in an attempt to burn the short open, keeping in mind that if it doesn't work, it will really make things worse, but, what do you have to lose? Just use a jumper and connect to the battery briefly a few times.

I tried throwing a little voltage across the windings till I saw a little smoke. It increased the resistance to around 4 ohms to ground but thats it. It was worth a try!

Anyway i am now looking for another stator but I have not had any luck in the classifieds so I guess I will look around on ebay, Yep I guess I am getting desperate now.

I have read that you can make an older stator work with a few mods but do all years interchange? At first glance there are quite a few earlier ones around 74-75 available for less than $50. Of course all of them worked great when they were pulled off the bike,hopefully I can find one that has actually been ohmed out.

Thanks for your input Pete.

Back