Disassembling carbs 1972 XS650

corbshere

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest thing keeping me from opening these carbs is will I be able to identify any problems,and will I be able to get them back togethor! I am pretty handy mechanically, but the parts look so little! Any one got some words of wisdom for me...Never took apart any carburetor ever!! The reason I want to look them over is the bike has been sitting in my shed for five years and I gotta believe that there is some crap in these. You guys concur with that assumtion?

If you didn't drain the carbs before storing the bike then yes, they are almost certainly gummed up now. If you don't try starting it or even turning it over then the gunk may stay confined mostly to the float bowls and make your cleaning task a bit easier. Try to start it though, and you'll suck that gunk through all the carb passages and make the cleaning job a lot bigger.

I have taken these apart. Take very good notes and keep every thing together per carb. If there is not a lot of miles on the bike you can use the original needles. I would replace the slide/diaphragm assembly which can be purchased from Mikes Part #20-6029. Have the bodies and bowls ultrasonic cleaned by someone who knows what there doing. Get a manual. Pay attention to the floats. Buy new ones if needed. Do buy new float valves (needle and seat) from mikes. Take your time and you will be better off in the long run once you understand how they work.

Back