Disassembling the speedo, a bitch or no?

I just hack saw the crimped band off to gain access and then reassemble it using 4" heat shrink tubing.

Next time you have to take your Tach or Speedo apart, throw away the metal loop that holds the bezel on and use a piece of 4" heat shrink tubing instead.

Use a hack saw to saw the bezel in two opposite places and remove it.

1. Buy a one foot section of 4" heat shrink tubing.
2. Cut a 15/16 in strip of tubing from the one foot section.
3. Prop the Speedo / Tach face down on a .31 in high round "thing". I used a lid from a small jar of "Dromedary Diced Pimientos" (upside down to accommodate the slight curve in the glass)
4. Place the 15/16 in strip of heat shrink around the bezel.
5. Apply heat from a heat gun evenly all the way around.

drape.jpg

(Don't pay attention to the mug with the Golden on it. :wtf: That's her food cup. The wine is there to reduce the stress from owning a Golden...:banghead: The Tums are there to reduce the stress from the wine...:D

heatshrink3.jpg

Here is a front view:

shrink.jpg

Notes: The .31 dimension is from the front edge of the bezel to the work surface, with the tach / speedo face down on a suitable prop. You have to allow for the slight curve of the glass. If done exactly, there is no trimming required. A lid from a small jar of "Dromedary Diced Pimientos" works perfectly because it forms a cup to keep the glass curve from wobbling when you apply the heat.

There is enough material in the 1' length of 4" heat shrink material to do 12 Tachs or Speedos, so share with your buddy.

i followed your advice and removed the bezel to do the repair. now i just need to find out where to get 1ft of 4inch heatshrink. can you help?

How about good old McMaster Carr? www.mcmaster.com
View attachment 99595

There is others listed but this was the first one I saw.
got the part in less than 24hrs! unfortunately its some kind of vinyl guard, its as stiff as hell and doesn't appear to shrink. part # is VG-400B-P1. is this what you used? I called McMaster carr and the girl said she would look into it

I've disassembled and reassembled my share of tachs and speedos, adding indicator lights, resetting those little screws and replacing needles.
The fastest and easiest way to get into the guts of these things is to pry the bezel off, as has been stated.

On the difference in the speed limits on the faceplates? The ones that go to 140 mph were just faster bikes......lol
I believe that the thingy inside the speedo that turns the needle is set for whatever that faceplate is printed....so, IMHO, keep those two items together lest you get an improper reading and speeding tickets, eg: don't be putting 120mph faceplates on top of 85mph thingys or vice versa. This has no bearing on the speedo wheel drive, as those that interchange are all geared the same afaik.

Back