Tracker Extraordinaire rescue

Fastener for the rear cam chain guide.
1711391398485.png

So no sad face ? Mr Bultaco ? Are the stainless screws inferior in strength? They are in there

The two long screws go on the right. They're shouldered. They're what aligns the base of the tensioner.

IMG_6764.jpeg

Made it to a fun stage. Setting the cam chain tension, valve clearances and points gaps.
The valves were cleaned up. New top end gaskets.

What would be the best guess to set the valve clearances? Tight or loose?
Will the clearances likely become less after start up?

What would be the best guess to set the valve clearances? Tight or loose?
Will the clearances likely become less after start up?
There are differing recommendations on setting the valves - @5twins gives the best advice - but I'd say better to go loose than tight. Old saying, a tappy engine is a happy engine. I don't know if they tighten up or get loose in use, but you're probably going to want to check the engine after a few heat cycles, tighten the cylinder head bolts which loosen up as the gaskets settle down so it will be easy enough to check the valves again then. Then a running in oil change, check everything again, and repeat on a reducing cycle . . .

IMG_6774.jpeg

Engine Assembly is at a nice place to pause.
Manually turns over nicely and shifts appropriately and all goes round and round with good feel so I’m claiming victory on a XS top end assembly.
Until I have a ready frame to put this is in , clutch assembly can wait in a storage condition.
I’ll move on to other XS Tracker project needs soon.
Thank You Everybody in my first XS650 top end assembly
😎

IMG_6790.jpeg

🌞 came out finally ! So I of course drifted from what I should be doing to my Townhouse to paint wheel spacers Yellow & Silver and assembled the wheels with the new hardware to this point. Discs still need some work..

IMG_6844.jpeg

Hello again XS650.com project fans 👍
As seen in this pic, a guy can guess that all of the existing “Tracker” (street legal forest rode bike) components whether test fit or not yet are nicely stored in an organized manner for now. I’ve ditched the gauges and handlebar switches. A single small speedo and simple handlebar controls are now “to be found” down the road. Simple like a 70’s dirt bike. (No key ignition) I will completely rewire the bike to minimum.
Here is the BARE FRAME which was seriously hacked by the PO to the point that the project sat for years and this fubar frame mod idea is the very reason the project has remained unfinished for years now. And it’s mine..
I’ve already experienced the local hot rod fabricator bid to fix.. holee shitolee 💴 nope

*Now some personal bs excuses (reasons) for my own seemingly distancing from the XS forum.
1 I’m older and winding down and have deleted ALL online social media except XS650.com
2 building custom XS restos is much more difficult these days
3 There is apparently Zero other XS650’s in the surrounding Eastern Washington region
4 WTF happened to the fun of sending parts to each other ? (SHIPPING COSTS)
5 I got fired from my truck driving job for absolute BS !
6 my 2000 Ford F150 got broke into at the dog park.. cell phone stolen 🥵 what a huge and expensive ordeal !
7 Dog ate parts of a golf ball the lawn mower chopped up! Vet X-rays etc.. til my dog threw up thank you Jesus
8 … do you get it yet? I’m Super discouraged here!
9 When this Tracker does run, I’m gonna behave even more badly on it than any of you have seen from me yet!
😈🔥

Another interview tomorrow…
XS Tracker project on the shelves due to life circumstances.
Be careful, make good decisions cuz the world around us is not getting better
Take care, RT
IMG_6794.jpeg

View attachment 322981
As seen in this pic, a guy can guess that all of the existing “Tracker” (street legal forest rode bike) components whether test fit or not yet are nicely stored in an organized manner for now. I’ve ditched the gauges and handlebar switches. A single small speedo and simple handlebar controls are now “to be found” down the road. Simple like a 70’s dirt bike. (No key ignition) I will completely rewire the bike to minimum.
Here is the BARE FRAME which was seriously hacked by the PO to the point that the project sat for years and this fubar frame mod idea is the very reason the project has remained unfinished for years now. And it’s mine..
I’ve already experienced the local hot rod fabricator bid to fix.. holee shitolee 💴 nope

*Now some personal bs excuses (reasons) for my own seemingly distancing from the XS forum.
1 I’m older and winding down and have deleted ALL online social media except XS650.com
3 There is apparently Zero other XS650’s in the surrounding Eastern Washington region
6 my 2000 Ford F150 got broke into at the dog park.. cell phone stolen 🥵 what a huge and expensive ordeal !
7 Dog ate parts of a golf ball the lawn mower chopped up! Vet X-rays etc.. til my dog threw up thank you Jesus
9 When this Tracker does run, I’m gonna behave even more badly on it than any of you have seen from me yet!
😈🔥

Take care, RT
View attachment 322983
Everything sure looks good, including the dog. Sorry 'bout the job. Keep your chin up, it'll get better.

View attachment 322981

😈🔥

Take care, RT
View attachment 322983
You'll be back on your feet in no time my friend....hang in there.

Loved meeting your dog that time on my side of the hills, such a friendly, loving lil bugger. 🥰

Back