discouraged & desperate! need help.

I read it that the white smoke only began when the pilots were changed ? but if its persisting it could indicate an oil leak from the cam tunnel into the left cylinder which is quite common.

A compression test would be helpful and re-torquing the head might help if the gasket is leaking but I suspect that there might be several issues here

Those orings are old. Hes been on/ off with the bowls alot. Whether thats the problem or not, he needs new ones.

white smoke & oil fouled plug only happened the one time after changing out some jetting. I have not done a compression test. & am unfamiliar with said "leak down test" but will do my research. after replacing that plug and making carb adjustments it went away, but was a bit too rich. something particukar is going on that is causing all of this headache. it may seem like there are many problems but I feel like we just need to catch it at the root. my bike has always ran quite well until recently.

Those orings are old. Hes been on/ off with the bowls alot. Whether thats the problem or not, he needs new ones.

recieved the o-rings, thanks again angus. I will pay it forward indeed. just finished deep cleaning my carbs, & installing the new rings. should have it all buttoned up here shortly. floats are to spec, slides working well. noticed my left air-mix screw wasn't seating properly either.,crossing my fingers it goes well. I'll let y'all know! thanks again everyone for the help. I know carb stuff gets beaten to death on here.

Last edited:
thanks again for all the help fellas. running pretty strong though I haven't been able to get out much. changed the oil & repaired the torn sump. waiting on a 27.5 pilot to get here to finish off the jetting. should have me in the sweet spot. here's a photo of the bike as of now too. made a battery box & just got my seat back from the upholster.

image.jpeg

I would also do a leak down test on the left cylinder. That would tell you more than a compression test on the condition of the cylinder. With the possibly oil fouled plug and white smoke it wouldn't hurt to know at this point.

Great looking bike! Not sure how I missed your thread...well, probably with the changes to the forum and all...but looks good! Hope you're carb/compression testing comes out good.

for those wondering i finally got around to getting myself a compression tester. reading right around 140 on each cylinder (dry)
so that's good news! also..
jetting seems good with the 27.5 pilot (1 up) & 132.5 main (4 up) though i need to get out on a longer haul to really see how she acts. but no backfiring & seemed to pull pretty damn hard. put new plugs in so i'll keep an eye on them.

Last edited:
So, what is the outcome and most likely cause if you fixed it mate?
I've got the same symptoms on my 650B.

new needle jet o-rings, & my air mix screw was buggered up so it felt like it was seating a turn early. i'd back it out 2 turns but it would actually be 3 or so. ran circles a bit until i realized that one. those were the big two. i also don't think one of my slide diaphrams was totally air tight. little vasoline around the seal seemed to help. once those were dialed, jetting went pretty smoothly.
what's going on with yours?

new needle jet o-rings, & my air mix screw was buggered up so it felt like it was seating a turn early. i'd back it out 2 turns but it would actually be 3 or so. ran circles a bit until i realized that one. those were the big two. i also don't think one of my slide diaphrams was totally air tight. little vasoline around the seal seemed to help. once those were dialed, jetting went pretty smoothly.
what's going on with yours?
Having another go at it tomorrow. Compression test, clean left carb again, vas the diaphragms and try again. Running rich at idle on the left......it's either simple or time for a carb upgrade.....

Having another go at it tomorrow. Compression test, clean left carb again, vas the diaphragms and try again. Running rich at idle on the left......it's either simple or time for a carb upgrade.....
double check your float height while you're in there. right side running good?

double check your float height while you're in there. right side running good?
Compression 150 L. 147 R. Re cleaned L carb. Put a thin piece of fuse wire into pilot jet as not much flow from carb cleaner. Got that flowing Ok. Put the show back together. Idle now much better. Might refit original pilot jets as it has 42.5's in it now.
Road test to come, but likely have to raise needle one notch on 130 main.
Thanks for advice.

Isn't the enricher on the left carb? If it leaks air a bit it can effect the side lift.
Might ant to check to see if it closes fully.
Leo

Back