DIY Hand Controls

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm just if anyone has made their own hand controls?

I was thinking something like this:

18a.jpg

Any ideas on how to go about making something like this? Teebs?

Thanks All
A22 :thumbsup:

I've seen those brackets sold before to mount to 1" bars. You drill holes for micro switches and run the wires in the bars. I thought it was a cool idea but have never used them myself.

im doing something similar at the moment on 7'8" bars. i had some tubing that was slightly larger than the handle bar tubing and i cut out about a 4cm length and then cut it in half. then i just drilled out the holes for the switches and then holes for the mounting screws and tapped the holes. it sits over more snug than the raised one in the picture above. the tubing is probably a little too thin so if i was to do it again i would double up the tubing, weld the seam and it would be sick.

im doing something similar at the moment on 7'8" bars. i had some tubing that was slightly larger than the handle bar tubing and i cut out about a 4cm length and then cut it in half. then i just drilled out the holes for the switches and then holes for the mounting screws and tapped the holes. it sits over more snug than the raised one in the picture above. the tubing is probably a little too thin so if i was to do it again i would double up the tubing, weld the seam and it would be sick.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?
What size tubing would you guess you used?
Thanks

Do you have any pictures of your setup?
What size tubing would you guess you used?
Thanks

Sorry mate no photos yet. it looks pretty much the same as that thing up the top it just doesnt stick out as much. sits abit smoother on the handlebar. Also the tubing i used was the same diameter as the tube on the frame of the bike so id guess it was a full inch. If you were going to buy the materials for it id just try getting some off cuts of various sizes.

cant see the pic but here is a friendly tip, I have done many custom switches but it always comes back to the quality of the switch and when it will short and leave you high and dry. my best clean look of switches has been to make a neck gusset both sides of a double downtube frame and mount the switches in there. I use NEMA 4 switches not cheap but will never let you down. I have tried the mirco switches but find them finicky and hard to replace out in the middle of no where,(other than jumping them). my 2 cents

builder. I wish I could have heard better words about the micros. I wanna skin my handlebars as much as possiable and they would have helped ALOT.. :(

maryland dosent REQUIRE turns but what the hell. too small not too use. :) so im going to have some kind of switch. Just want "discrete" ones.

Back