DMV won't accept my VIN

fkhuk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
447 010551

My DMV says they cannot find any information on this VIN. This is my first Yamaha so I wanted to see if this sounds like an accurate VIN. It is stamped onto the neck of the frame, on the VIN sticker in the same location, and on the motor crankcase.

When I titled my '77 there was a bit of a glitch, a hiccup in the process due to the difference in the amount of numbers from back then to newer vins. IF I was understanding what was going on, the girls at the BMV called somewhere and were instructed to add four zeros in the information process. I overheard them say 'Four zeros where? Next to the zero? Oh, OK.....there....OK". I had mentioned when I went in that there is a difference in the amout of numbers and that sometime in the 80's they increased them. They never aknowledged whether that was the issue or not. Of course, the bike coming from out of state needed a sheriffs inspection and sign off of the neck numbers before going to the BMV, and there again I mentioned the difference.....might be your issue.

It appears you have a 1974 and yes it looks like a "good" number.
I would print out the PDF and take it along to the DMV on the next try, that should help.

TX-650A Production Dates 73-74 for the 1974 model year 447 447- 000101
XS-B (US) Production dates 74-75 for the 1975 model year 447 447- 100101

The info is from a PDF in this thread
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42

That engine would have (had) the compression release mechanism on the LH exhaust valve.
The bike originally looked like this.

640px-1974-Yamaha-TX650-Maroon-3372-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ahso so the 73-74 refers to the production dates, not year? You are right Yamasarus, my 73 starts with S650 also.... my earlier post will be edited to reflect your wisdom.

447-000101 serial is the starting number for the 74 TX650A yours was the 10450th imported 73 started S650-20 and was just a TX650

Cool, thanks for the clarity guys. The bike has no title, so I too will have to have the bike inspected prior, as well as having an indemnity bond. Fingers crossed the DMV doesn't give me a hard time when the time comes.

This may be a bit late, but with the way most states are getting harder to get a title for a bike that doesn't have one, a bike without a title is just a pile of parts.
If I was you I might look around and find another bike with a good title and use what you have for parts.
Leo

You could sell the bike to a trusted friend / relative in another state that has easier rules for untitled bikes. Then, buy it back with a title.

I ran into this on my XS with a 10 digit VIN and my Jensen Healey with a 9 digit VIN. Older vehicles with non-17 digit VINs are confusing to the DMV rank and file because the computers (or at least the ones in SC) won't accept a non 17 digit VIN, even though by state law all vehicles must have a title. This means it has to be entered manually and this blows them away. There was much discussion and huddling in offices by the employees before mine got done.

I think a large part of the problem is finding someone at the DMV who doesn't have the "not my problem" attitude. They are out there, but it isn't exactly encouraged.

I ran into this on my XS with a 10 digit VIN and my Jensen Healey with a 9 digit VIN. Older vehicles with non-17 digit VINs are confusing to the DMV rank and file because the computers (or at least the ones in SC) won't accept a non 17 digit VIN, even though by state law all vehicles must have a title. This means it has to be entered manually and this blows them away. There was much discussion and huddling in offices by the employees before mine got done.

I believe they have to use 'placeholders' for the missing numbers....

My DMV won't accept any bike unless the neck is stamped with 17 digits. So I have to take it through the State police "Auto Theft Unit" first. My BSA had 4 digits. That was a total pain.
The state police even laugh at the antiquated methods and ridiculous process' of the DMV.

Thought I would pass this along, I called my Highway Patrol station in the county I live in about getting a bond title for an xs2 I have and he sent me to my LP agency to give the vin # ; the lady ran the vin and told me it was worth 150.00 for tax purposes and she sent me across the street to my insurance agency and that lady issued me a bond for 150.00. Called the trooper back and he told me when I was ready to ride to load the bike and bring it down for inspection and he would issue paper work for a tag . He also said " we do this alot" This is in NC. Thanks to ggggary for the info some time back

i have a 75 xs650 but the iowa dot wont take my 9 digit vin number how exactly do i fix this the lady said there was not enough numbers

RZ you just need to find a smarter DMV person, your bike comes from the era before standard 17 digit VINs. Someone at DMV knows this. Tell her to call her boss.

I was having this problem a while back. Even though I already knew about the way Yamaha breaks down the old vin numbers I wanted some kind of proof to show to the dmv and the cop doing the vin inspection. I called Yamaha headquarters and the lady told me she would have to find somebody who knew more about it and they would call me back.

I wasn't expecting a call back, but 30 minutes later I got a call from a guy who obviously wasn't customer service because he talked like a regular guy. He took down all the info about my bike, and wrote me a personalized letter explaining how my vin worked so I could show the DMV. I could have done it without the letter, but it was the only time I've called customer service for anything and something good came of it. :thumbsup:

Very cool on the responce from Yamaha.
I don't know when the 17 digit VIN went into effect but on my 81 it has the 17 digit VIN on the white sticker on the frame with the 9 digit VIN stamped into the frame.
The title uses the 9 digits on the frame. Why is beyond me.
Leo

Back