Do I solder these coil connections?

groundsfordivorce

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

These wires were cut on this ignition coil...and I THINK the idea is you solder your two mains directly to these tiny terminals? I'll have to heat the old stuff out of there and then resolder new wires...sound right? No special connector or weirdness I have to do other than resolder new wires?

And should I bother to heat wrap or weatherproof those terminals in any other way? Seems kind of weird to leave them exposed like that.

Pics attached! Thx!

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 238
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 255
when connecting to that I would have used a female spade connector.
the po must not have had them on hand. and soldered the wire :(
I would weather proof the female spade connector. I use shrink tube for that. there are also spade connectors already weather proofed.

It's not uncommon for ppl to solder there but a spade is ok too as long as it's all clean and greased. The reason they solder it is the resistance of the coil is so low that if the connection to it is bad then the connection is a significant part of the circuit. But a good spade connection won't show any resistance either.

I think those are solder connections. The tabs look too short to hold a spade connector. The wires you attach should pass through those little holes on that tab to the left and have bullet connectors on the ends so they'll plug into the harness, like so .....

RightCoil.jpg

Back