Do The Uni Foams clear the center frame support?

Sci85

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I currently have the K&N pleated pods but the rubber around the filter at the front of the housing hits the frame's center support and they just don't seem secure after wrestling them on. I'm thinking of switching over to the Uni foam's but want to know if they clear the center frame rail or do they have the same issue? This is on an '80 with BS34's. Also, if you know the correct part number, that would be awesome. There seem to be multiple that fit?

Thanks.

I currently have the K&N pleated pods but the rubber around the filter at the front of the housing hits the frame's center support and they just don't seem secure after wrestling them on. I'm thinking of switching over to the Uni foam's but want to know if they clear the center frame rail or do they have the same issue? This is on an '80 with BS34's. Also, if you know the correct part number, that would be awesome. There seem to be multiple that fit?
Thanks.

Hi Sci,
Unipods are about the best pods for an XS650. Their plain foam cylinder configuration gives a smoother airflow than the
pleated/tapered/metal mesh/sheetmetal ended configuration of others. Even the ones that say XS on their chromed end plates.
I think the Unipods to suit BS34 carbs are #2040s but others could confirm that.
After the stock airboxes are removed (and carefully saved if the PO didn't trash them) the Unipods fit each side of the frame tube
with their ends butted up against the stock battery carrier.

The UNI pods you want for the BS34s are the UP4229 or UP4229ST (dual layer). These are the black foam pods 4" long with a 2 1/4" I.D. mounting flange. The dual layer version has a red foam "sock" over the black foam filter. Remove it and you're left with a standard 4229 filter. The black foam used in these is finer than the green foam in regular UNI filters. The special foam filter oil they sell is too thick for it and will clog them. Use a simple 50-50 mix of plain motor oil and gas instead.

Yes, they will clear the frame downtube. So will the proper K&N. I used K&Ns before I switched to the UNIs and they fit just fine .....

650KNs.jpg

Hmm, well the ones I have, with the chrome XS on them, hit the downtube and do not fit well. I will try the UNI's. Thanks all.

You don't have real K&Ns, you have cheapo knock-offs, what we affectionately call "gravel strainers", lol. Set one on your desk, "XS" side down, and use it for a pencil holder, that's all they're good for really.

I think pods look cool! Some claim to suffer from crosswind issues... I guess I'll find out after I put mine on?

Back