do these floats look normal?

Well it runs now.
But it's doing things I've heard described before, by others....when revved, doesn't come back down to idle quickly enough. A couple of backfires, but not much really.
I've got a throttle cable issue, of all things. Am using this generic minimalist type throttle twistgrip and mount and the angle end of cable housing that should meet up nice and neat, is sloppy. I did some re-routing but still it's not right.

Also it didn't really seem to want to run on the choke. I did have to "give gas" at first for it to run. With my old XS, I couldn't give it gas at all til warmed up a bit or it'd die.
So this one has different issues.

I am going to order new idle jet screws. On one, I messed the head of it up a little while drilling out the brass cover. So it's difficult to manipulate that screw.

Had the old plugs in when I first started it. After a while I removed them and they were kind of black and wet with gas.
Switched plugs to some iridiums, and it ran better then. But it still has issues. Anyway I pulled one of the iridiums after running it for a minute or so and it looked clean and at least didn't have gas all over it.

Lots of stuff on this bike is "new" in terms of hours in use, but is old in actual age and has just sat, for years. This was my project bike over 10 years ago - so at that time I'd replaced some stuff. Coil, plug wires....clutch plates. At some point I robbed it of its carbs, to use them on a '79 I owned for awhile, whose 38's were unfixable. I popped the 34's from this bike on and it ran fine, right away.

At that time I found THIS set of 34's on eBay, (for $10!!!!) and bought them so as not to leave this bike carb-less.

Today is the first time the bike has run for over 5 seconds in over 10 years!
:)
I probably need to re-jet some.

The irony is I have this PILE - baggies with many, jets jets jets...but they're all for BS38's!!!! and needles! and other stuff I'd bought trying to save those damn 38's that were originally on my '79. Wish I could use those jets. But oh well.

Also I need to oil my Uni's. also, also also...... there are may things to do. Still haven't done valve adjustment, or cam chain adjustment.

Wish I could figure out about the throttle cable. Its "end" at the grip just doesn't meet up cleanly with the hole the cable goes into the housing at. So the cable is not supported well, at all, at the throttle housing.

But i am a happy camper for the moment. Thanks so much guys.

I made a little video of it running, just shows the clear plug caps with sparks, and has sound - so if I can edit it to a reasonable length, I'll post it up. I just switched to those clear caps so I could (for now) easily see if I have spark. And I do! oodles of spark! I will switch back to the NGK plug caps soon.
:)
Thanks again!

Back